Machinery's Handbook

Agree, pre-20th. Mine is a 19th edition and is a must have reference for me. MozamPete, thanks for the link. I might look for a early 1950ish edition to supplement.

I got a really good price on a 20th Ed. In great condition ($20). Anything of note I'm missing?

Just got a used 25th edition for about 30.00 with shipping. As was said, well worth the money.

I was given a 5th and 15th editions by a co-worker that belong to his grandfather about 15 years ago. The first new one I bought on my own was the 20th edition. That was 41 years ago, I was still in high school then. Borrowed a 23rd edition from a company library that has about 30 of them left over from a training seminar they had. Last one I bought was the 26th edition, but I bought the large print edition along with the CD. And no, I will not provide any copies of the CD to anyone! Go buy your own like I did. Haven't decided if I will buy a 30th edition or not.

Not to take away from the usefulness of Machinery's Handbook, as a beginner I think you will find more usable information in:

Advanced Machine Shop by Smith (originally published in 1910) and the precursor to that Textbook of the Elements of Machine Work. Both are understandable and provide plenty of workflow charts to learn sequence of operations from.
Both books are free downloads from http://archive.org . Advanced Machine Shop can also be bought used via AbeBooks.com (originals), the Elements book is available there are a reprint.

Gerrit

Gerrit,

How about posting a direct link to the book down load?

Gerrit, those are nice texts, but are not a substitute for MH. It's more just raw data for reference sake. I believe we all should own one, but there's no "how to's" or things like that in it. That's not what it is for.

Back