Machinery's Handbook What Edition?

Well, the age /condition of the copy is not important to me, after all I will be using it for basic reference although the points projectnut made are valid but this is a hobby for me , I'm still working on getting a small lathe ,lol.
Bill,G. I don't know exactly what editions are available ,have seen a few 1954-to 75 for ~$50 USD but by the time you add shipping ,there will be no deal to be made.

I would suggest you purchase something between the 14th and the 22nd editions to start with unless you're heavily into metric. If that's the case I would look for something between the 22nd and 26th edition. Almost everything covered in 14th edition is still current except for some tooling and shaper information, however there isn't much on metric fasteners. The 22nd edition starts delving more into metric measurements and insert tooling, but some of the older HSS stuff has been eliminated.

Most of my editions have been purchased used. About the only ones I bought new were the 22nd and 26th editions. When new I think I paid about $80.00 for the 22nd edition, and around $100.00 for the 26th edition at Barnes and Noble.

I see a 14the edition on e bay for $24.95 or best offer, plus shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Machinerys-...988359?hash=item44004f8847:g:riIAAOSw2gxY0UZz

and a 22nd edition for $34.95 and free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...dbook.TRS0&_nkw=machinery's+handbook&_sacat=0

Personally I would start with the 22nd edition.

Whatever edition you have/get, the important thing is understanding how to use the information contained in it. Some of it can be pretty confusing at first glance, or if simply looking for a specific number based off of specific variables. I have the 29th edition in my toolbox at work, and I reference it quite a bit. However, sometimes I have to jump back and forth between sections or pages to be able to actually locate or determine the value of information I'm searching for. Other times I can find the page and there is the needed info. It also helps to either bookmark or memorize page numbers for your most used info.

Another thing to keep in mind is that SOME of the info in there is not set in stone, "this is how it is" kind of stuff. It is intended to get you close based on the variables listed. But, there are other variables that must be considered. A prime example is the feeds and speeds tables. They will get you close and give you a starting point, but your particular setup (machine rigidity, workholding methods, experience, etc.) all play a major roll in the actual required values.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guv
Mach89 and projectnut, thank you ,great info on what edition to look for, I'll be into metric for sure since I have little choice up here , all my working years here I worked for companies that dealt with the US and all we did were in US/Imperial. metric will take some getting used to.

the MH is full of good info but their is nothing in it to tell you HOW to use info,, the Guide book will do that with problems that can be solved with info in MH

Super helpful response! Having never seen the MH in person, I can't help be be overwhelmed with the vast thickness of the book. This guide you speak of sounds like something I'll be putting on my wish list!

[EDIT]- Has the guide always been around? I can only seem to find it back to the 23rd Edition, and nothing older.

Last edited:
For an inexpensive book that is also considerably smaller I recommend "Machinist Ready Reference" The 1980 copy I have dragged around since published is paper back, sprial bound, fits easily in middle drawer of Kennedy tool box and does not cost near as much. Covers a lot of the same info, but smaller. The older versions , still available used have info on sharpening shaper bits, sharpening drill bits etc. Of course the tables of angles are there. I use mine a lot more than I use the MH, of which I have 3 versions covering 70 years.

Back