Machinery's Handbook What Edition?

JohnnyTK

The Journey of Knowledge Continues
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I saw on a post or youtube video that the newer editions of the handbook are more geared towards engineers and if this is the case which edition is the better edition for the hobbyist? Thanks

All editions are designed to aid engineers, machinists, hobbyist, chief cook and bottle washers too. I don't see the 30th edition to be any different than the 25th or 29th. They say the paper is so thin that the ink almost bleeds thru.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to THM JohnnyTK. Most of the 28th edition is available on google docs.
There is also Machinery's Handbook, Pocket Companion.
lk

Last edited:
I got a 1950's edition for Christmas this year. I find I refer to this older edition more and more, as all the info in it is more condensed and geared towards the same kinds of manual machining and materials that I constantly use now as a hobbyist. themolder edition seems much more condensed and to the point, and readable for manual machining.

I think the Machinary's handbook has always been aimed at the professional machining/engineering industry of the time. Hobby machinists tend to use older equipment requiring older techniques so I would agree the older additions are more relevant (to me anyway).
While stuff is always added to each new editon, stuff is also removed. For example the modern editions contain a lot less on blacksmithing than the earlier additions.
http://www.anvilfire.com/bookrev/ has some comparisons on the additions - hasn't been updated for a while but goes up to the 29th edition.
Personally I'd go for 20th or before (I have a physical 17th edition), as that sort of ties up with the age of the machines I use.
And as said above there are version - both older and newer - available electronically on the internet if you care to look for comparison.

the newest version i have is the 19th edition
i keep a 14th edition in the shop, just like the previous owner did- well worn, but it has the most wonderful machine shop smell
(7) other copies are on a bookshelf
the information is essential

Last edited:
thier are numerous versions of the "handbook",, a large print edition,the tool box edition, a regular size edition,a pocket edition, a guide edition,and a dvd edition. most people have the tool box edition which fits in the center drawer of a kennedy toolbox,regardless which one you have i would get a popular one meaning their are plenty on e -bay fairly priced, so when you want another version you get the same edition ,25th, 14th, 29th etc..this is esecially critical if you get the Handbook Guide. the MH is full of good info but their is nothing in it to tell you HOW to use info,, the Guide book will do that with problems that can be solved with info in MH,, but you MUST get the Handbook Guide same edition as the MH, as it referrs to info on a certain page in the MH and the MH adds pages every edition,so a MH #25 and a guide book #29 wont work well together, you must match them up as to the same edition number,16, 25, 29 or what ever.

I've never had need for the guide. I've got a 28th Ed "Large Print" (ha!) edition in the house, a 29th in the drawer of my newer Gerstner, and an age-appropriate one (18th, maybe?) in the drawer of my older Gerstner.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I support the large print edition theory!
Although, this should not suggest that I haven't collected some really cool older editions.
I nostalgically appreciate the notes that somebody once made and the occasional finger print.
These don't do much for resale value but it does remind me that somebody once used the book.

Daryl
MN

Back