Lost ---

I thought of going to the back Steve and making a new leadscrew for the cross slide and connecting the stepper motor directly to the leadscrew. I don't remember why I dismissed it. Guess I'll take another look. Thanx.

"Billy G"

you are probably going to want to keep the handle, I'm probably going to do away with it. i'm thinking of turning the end down and adding a longer shaft to the existing screw to come out the back but it requires milling or drilling out the lower casting to exit the rear, the passage does not go all the way through.
steve

Now I remember, I want to add a taper attachment also. The stepper motor would have been in the way. Yes the handle will be retained.

"Billy G"

i'm going to the shop to work on mine today i'll let you know what i figure out on mine since it's apart.
the idea i have will be able to still have the handle.
steve

Me to Steve. I just got a helluva good idea. It will go on the back.

"Billy G" :phew:

bill ( or anyone ) is there any reason i cannot turn the slide around and put it in with the gib screws facing forward?
steve

I see where you are going with this, You wish to drive from the handle end, correct? If that is the case no you are good to go. Everything should be OK.

"Billy G" :thumbsup:

ok I'm going to make a bracket with an inch longer travel. i'm not going to use a thrust bearing the motor is zero backlash and i'm going to use a ridgid coupling since the other end of the screw is free. i guess i will see. i can test run it off the lathe.
steve

here is a quick mock up of what i'm thinking.
steve

DSCF0351.JPG

You think like me, out of the envelope. What size is the stepper motor.

"Billy G"

Back