Lost ---

I have mount issues to overcome because of a few mods I made. We will get there.

"Billy G" :whistle:

Hi Bill

Just got me wondering what your doing with the stepper motor project? Ya never did say what you where doing with the idea.

Im going through the process of searching out steppers for my Sidney lathe now. I want to add metric threading to my machine. Still looking at the ELS from Automation Artisans, Putnam eng, or just go anther step farther and use mach3

Just wondering what your buildin

I read up on stepper motors. I guess I learned just enough to be dangerous. (not funny). I want to add a power cross feed to my Jet 9X20 lathe. So after reading and learningwhat little I did I went to flea bay and became totally lost on page one.

What do I need to accomplish my goal? Bipolar? Unipolar? Do I need the Drive unit or just a 12 volt power supply. What are the 6 wires needed fo on the 6 pole plugs. I've seen them with only 4.

Ultimate goal is variable speed plus forward and Reverse with a neutral position. I want to use the slide manually also.

Am I peein against the wind here or is this feasable?

"Billy G" :panic:

Interesting post Bill, though it does beg the question as to why you want to do it if you're not intending to eventually to go to full CNC.
Are you just getting tired of winding the handle?
If that's the case a more conventional DC (or A/C) motor might suit your purpose better.
Stepper motors need drivers to control them as well as a power supply.
I think you could do it without using a computer and software by connecting a handheld pendant to a driver board, but there are others here who could advise you about that better than I can.

Good luck with the project, it's an interesting one.!

M

first of all you don't want any power cross feed on a lathe whatsoever. the next thing is that when dealing with crossfeed on a lathe is first of all what are you hearing? If a lathe makes alot of noise...what's the first thing you do?

Why would you not want power crossfeed on a lathe. The finish gained in a facing operation is over the top compared to cranking by hand. Your post makes no sense what-so-ever.

"Billy G" :dunno:

He may not, but I sure do, as I suppose nearly everyone in the industry. Seems to be the case since lathes normally come equipped with it.

I seldom use my 9x20 because it lacks power cross feed, I use the 12x36 mostly because it came with it. Heck I'd even love to have power compound feed again!

I'll be looking forward to you figuring this out so I can blatantly copy it.

Steve

I'm starting my 9x20 cnc conversion and working on an answer myself bill i'll let you know what i decide on.
i would really like to move everything to the back of the lathe but i'm not sure yet i just took it apart yesterday.
my leadscrew and nut for the x axis are still in perfect condition so i may be reusing them somehow i am not going with ballscrews on this conversion because i can compensate for backlash and the fact that spring in turning different materials has to be compensated for anyway.
steve

Steve, I gotta tell you. I admire your ambition with your machine projects. You've obviously done considerable research on preparation for them, and your execution has gone pretty well. If I thought a smaller mill would suit my needs, I'd just about consider copying yours. And it's not far outside my work envelope. Maybe this winter if things slow down I may consider finding a worn out machining center and doing a rebuild/retrofit. You've given me some motivation. I do just fine manually, but maybe I'm seeing myself getting slower and it would be nice to have some automation.

thank you tony
i have to go cnc my health keeps me from standing long periods in one place, so it's cnc working from a tall stool or a new hobby
steve

Back