Lost ---

B

British Steel

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi Bill,

What you want to do is perfectly feasible - but may involve a bit of "development" to get where you want to go!

First, unipolar vs bipolar - this is just about whether the coils are wired to carry current in one direction or both directions - if both directions, they'll be wired separately, unipolar can have a common "ground".

You'll need to measure the torque needed so you can choose a motor - putting a heavy facing cut on with a torque wrench on the crossfeed would do it, then factor in torque multiplication from the reduction between motor and crossfeed (see below) and double / treble it :)

To get the control you want, you could just mount the stepper directly to the cross-slide screw, but at the expense of only having 200 steps / turn - better would be to have some reduction between motor and screw, even better would be reduction plus "microstepping" (a controller feature) - this only works with bipolar motors, as the coils need to be individually wired, but by varying the currents in the 2 coils it's possible to make part-steps, e.g. 4 or 8 (sometimes 16) micro-steps for each of the standard 200 steps/rev. - it's worth making the individual steps / microsteps a sensible increment, e.g. 1/10 or 1/25 of a thou", perhaps with toothed belt and suitable sprockets.

If you go for a ready-built controller all it needs (apart from a power supply, which can be as simple as a redundant PC supply or parts from a dead hifi amp) is a source of step and direction input pulses - the step pulses can be generated by a 1-chip timer circuit (google "555 timer astable"), direction from a suitable switch! Using a controller with standard step/direction inputs opens up the possibility of CNC at a later date, too - CNC software's free and can run on a relatively low-spec PC...

The CNCzone site has lots of info on steppers, controllers, breakout (PC) boards, software etc. (including home-brew versions), probably worth a look / signing up (free).

Dave H. (the other one)

Sorry Bill
I should have directed you to pacific items , and not the whole mess of things.
Your only powering the crosslide, a stepper motor will do fine. Thats a small machine your installing it on, andgetting the proper size to do the job, should be pretty easy. I recommend you give them a call, and at least they will give you a recommendation on stepper motor, power supply, and hook up parts. Im not sure if your going to need the pulleys, and belt setup, and the coupler. Ill add another link for you, hope this doesnt give you a headache.
http://www.sdp-si.com/
http://www.lasermotion.com/servo.html
http://www.putnamengineering.com/
The last link, on the LH side scroll down to mount designs, this site has lots of good infro on the subject, just ignore the automated stuff, or you head might explode ;)

Hi Bill,

I am puzzled by or choice of a stepper motor for this job; if you only want to power your cross slide and don't plan on going CNC wouldn't a geared DC motor be a much cheaper and easier solution? A DC motor can be driven by easy to find ESC control boards and the whole thing is simple to set up.

José

Hi Bill
Im not sure about the lathe you have, but steppers are , and can be mounted on the front side, or the rear side. Mounting to the rear side can make for a tidy setup. On some lathes it just makes more sense to mount on the back side, just incase you didnt think of it.

Some need a extension on the end of the screw to reach far enough back to reach the stepper.
If you need any more links with that type of set up, I have a fair collection.

Re: Lost --- this post is old but i thought i'd add to it

on ebay look up stepper motor speed control like item number 330692980897 this will allow you to run one controller box like a gecko of similar 1 motor with a power supply no pc required for this just set direction and speed and go
or buy a 2 axis set of motors and controllers and use two of these to operate the x and y axis
probably the lowest cost method normally include power supply 2 motors 2 controllers and a breakout board you dont need but can use everything will work like power feeds with no pc involved
steve

Re: Lost --- something else I forgot

if your motors are big enough above say 360 then you can direct drive and by microstepping you multiply the 200 pulses per revolution by the microstep 200 is at full step in one revolution if you microstep at 1/2 step then you will get 400 pulses per revolution doubling your accuracy
for example using 10 tpi to make it easy and it is direct drive then one inch = 200 steps x10 or .005 per step
at 1/2 step setting you double the accuracy to .0025 per stem ( 1/16 step is 16 x 200 per rev )
stepper motors loose torque the faster they run direct drive with a big enough motor will a better choice than a small motor with gearing to acheive torque due to the torque drop with higher rpms
this setup goes from just a power feed to a cnc machine with just a printer cable and software such as mach3 or others by just plugging it into the pc and turning off the stepper motor speed controllers
the power supply is at a higher voltage that stated on the motor to up to 5 times voltage stated.
my nema34 1600 motors are 5.85volts 8 amps they are running on a 60 volt power supply

my opinion i'm no expert
I have built the systems for my mill lathe and
I'm helping setup controllers on my friends plasma
If I can help please ask I'm happy to help anyone
steve

Re: Lost --- correction

sorry my bad
power supply voltage is up to 10 times motor voltage
typo
steve

Re: Lost --- sorry again

the math has a missing 0
this make me look dumb but i was too tired i guess
at full step of 200 per revolution on a 10tpi screw the the movement is .0005 per step
at 1/2 step that is 400 per revolution, on a 10tpi screw that is .00025 per step of the motor
at 1/16 step it is 200 x 16 or 3200 x 10tpi screw will give you .00003125in per step
sorry i was tired
this is at direct drive, so at 1/2 step this meets the needs of most lathes and is using the stepper motor at its highest torque
steve

hello bill
I was going back over some old posts and was wondering what you decided for your cross slide
steve

Back