Looking to get a 3D printer soon.

I'm curious why folks choose the Voron 2.4 over the Trident.

I like the non-moving build plate.

My Flashforge Creator Pro has the build plate moving up and down as the Z axis.

It may not make a difference, but a fixed build plate seems like it would be more rigid.

Another option on the Raspberry Pi front are the CM4 compute modules. The BTT Manta controller has a CM4 socket. CM4 boards are a bit easier to come by than regular Pi4 boards, and the combination is more compact as the CM4 sits on the Manta board. The CM4 has onboard memory that is better than the SD card so an SD card is not required. The Manta is basically the Octopus reworked to take the CM4. If I didn't already have the Octopus and Pi4 I would use a Manta and CM4, and I may change to it yet. If a CM4 is not available BTT makes a replacement for it (CB1) that is equivalent to a Pi3, and one could always start with that. I was able to get some CM4 boards, they are not off the shelf but when in stock they take much longer to sell out and quantities are not as limited as regular Pi's so you can get several. The CM4 boards are available in many different combinations of memory, eMMC and wifi/no wifi from $25 to $95 retail. For Klipper 1-2 GB ram with 8-16GB eMMC and Wifi is about right and the regular pricing is around $40-50. The CM4 boards can be used on various carriers to essentially be regular Pi4's, or optimized for specific applications.

What are your thoughts on the Manta mp8?

I believe the Voron 2.4 uses 7 steppers, so it would need the mp8 board, correct?

What are your thoughts on the Manta mp8?

I believe the Voron 2.4 uses 7 steppers, so it would need the mp8 board, correct?

Yes, the 2.4 has 7 steppers, ABZZZZE. If you use a Canbus for the printhead that drives the extruder so only 6 would be driven by the Manta, but still too many for the MP4, so the MP8 would be the choice either way. If no Canbus then all 7 would be from the Manta. The use of Canbus reduces the wiring to the head to just 4 wires instead of about 3 times that normally.

The Trident has one less Z motor but it still requires the M8P even with Canbus. It would be great if BTT made a 6 channel variant of the Manta. That would handle the Trident or the 2.4 with Canbus.

I haven't tried the Manta yet but I see a lot of folks are using it. They are being included in some of the upscale Voron kits as well.

I like the non-moving build plate.

My Flashforge Creator Pro has the build plate moving up and down as the Z axis.

It may not make a difference, but a fixed build plate seems like it would be more rigid.
Having a flexy moving gantry seems problematic, and 4 Z motors is overconstrained. The Z belt drives are complicated. Clearly it works, but I note that the IDEX dual head work is not being done on the 2.4, it is being applied to the Trident because the gantry is rigid. There is a Trident variant with triple belted Z drives if one wants to get away from leadscrews, but the integrated motor leadscrews have been excellent. LDO even has a taller 300mm variant for those wanting a 300mm Z build height.

The advantage of the moving gantry increases as build size goes up and the build plate gets massively heavy, so printers over 360mm may need to go that way. In printers 360mm and down the rising build plate seems more common.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, the MK3S+ kit arrived today! Well hot diggity! Got an email at 10:54 am saying delivery was to be between 11 am and 1 pm today. Delivery was at 11:37 am. No one bothered for a signature, the box was just placed on our farmers porch. I came up out of the shop for lunch (not having read any of the emails) and found the box there. A pleasant surprise.

Guess I have to tell my wife about this little purchase. Was planning to tell her tomorrow - you know, why rush it? She knows I have been wanting one, so it won't surprise her that much.

I ordered an Orange Pi 4 LTS to kinda get my feet wet. I'll play with it and try to educate myself before I spring for a Voron 2.4 kit.

I did some internet reading and downloaded the manual.

Unless i'm mistaken, the Orange Pi 4 LTS comes with Debian pre-installed on the emmc memory, and Debian is capable of running Klipper.

With some luck, that will all turn out to be true. If so, I should be able to pair it with the Octopus v1.1 board that comes with the Voron kit and maybe it will work? I hope...

Got up to step 21 in the Y axis tonight. Putting in the 3 bearings was a fiddly operation, seemed I needed one more hand to do the job! Got a bit tired so stopped for the night. Kit seems well made. There's a lot of labor involved, but it's been a good break from my broken x axis DRO on my mill.

Back