Looking for beginner's Mill

I don't see in the single photo given any indication that the column can be raised or lowered. If it did and if the column were keyed to the base so that it could not rotate then that might be an advantage if it were tight enough.

Unfortunately I do not have a better picture. The crank is on the right rear portion of the base that lowers and raises the column and head

So the column when lowered sticks down below the base and surface of the stand? If that is the case and if the column has a key slot running from the bottom to or nearly to the top and an anti-rotate key that runs in the slot, then yes, that would be an improvement over a normal drill-mill.

The main drawback common to all typical drill-mills is that you cannot adjust the distance between the head and the table without losing your horizontal location. With a standard knee-mill, that doesn't happen. It isn't normally done, but with a knee-mill, you could drill a hole by raising the table instead of extending the quill. So you could, for example, drill a hole deeper than the quill travel if you needed to.

It just occurred to me that to take full advantage of the column and head height adjusting feature, the column would need to be longer or taller than normal.

1615154358307.jpeg

The above picture which is from the above thread is the only like machine I’ve found on-line. I have direct messaged the OP of that thread but have yet to receive a response. I would really like to locate a manual.

Back