Looking for beginner's Mill

Tulsot

Registered
Registered
I am a hobbyist. I've had a Grizzly G0602 10x22 lathe for about a year now, now previous lathe or mill experience. I am looking to add a mill. I am considering something like an Enco/RF30 or a Harbor Freight 40939.

Having said that, I would like to keep my purchase price more in the $800-$1500 range to be better able to purchase the necessary accessories.

It's difficult to say exactly what I would use this for. I do some fabrication mainly in the area of custom off-road truck accessories and custom metal/wood furniture. I do do know i want to be able to mill mild steel.

I live in the Tulsa Oklahoma area and would be willing to drive a few hours for the right thing.

Thank you for any suggestions toward the right mill and of course any available for purchase..

Virgil

The RF type mills can be a good deal used, but new you can get better machines for the money. That HF mill is definitely a possibility, there are a couple of members here with that mill or a similar one from Grizzly and they seem to like them. I have a small Clausing knee mill about the same size that I am quite happy with.

It is more than your budget, but similar price to the HF mill, so I'd also suggest looking at the PM25.

PM25

Looking at new machines $800-1500 pretty much leaves you with mini-mills, you have a lot more options at $1500-2500.

Hopefully Jack has something to fit your needs.

Wow , never knew they were that expensive . If size were not an issue , you could pick up a used full size BP or clone in good shape for approx the same price .

Wow , never knew they were that expensive . If size were not an issue , you could pick up a used full size BP or clone in good shape for approx the same price .

They have gone up due to the tariffs. That has really changed some of the dynamics of shopping for a new machine, since there are few options that haven't seen a big price increase.

As far as Bridgeports go location, location, location. :) Out here you are really looking at $3000-4000 for a Bridgeport that isn't something of a project. Even though I'm a small machine guy, I agree even with our higher prices you can't beat a Bridgeport for value if you have the room for it.

Have you been keeping up with MrWhoopees posts ? There sure seems to be some great deals going on out there on the west coast .

I used to have an RF25 equivalent. It did a pretty good job, until I had to retire it after my house fire. I replaced it with an RF 30. I was amazed at how much better it was - more rigid, more capable. If you have the option, I'd recommend the 30 over the 25.

Have you been keeping up with MrWhoopees posts ? There sure seems to be some great deals going on out there on the west coast .

Some its hard to keep up with all of them. :)

I keep up with him every day, a wealth of machines, and you learn pricing, and quality. :encourage: :drool:

I wanted to let everyone know of an attempted fraud. I received this message from this member (jahe5):

1613918184820.png

I texted him and he responded with this:

1613920108094.png

I was initially interested until I stumbled onto the below photos of this mill and some history at a website where the owner had posted these photos showing their initial purchase and said they had subsequently sold it.

When I confronted him with this information he went silent. I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this but since it was a response to this thread....

Attachments

• 1613918365720.png
    1613918365720.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back