Logan Model 1875 Info

Looks like it's ready to make chips. It's a clean machine. I don't know the prices in your area but I don't think you got hurt. Just out of curiosity, did it have any oil in the apron?

I would second the chuck. It allows you to use soft jaws when you need your material to run perfectly true.

I don't know about Florida, but around here getting a Logan like that, tooled up and with the Starrett stuff would be a bargain. I think you did very well.

As for the chuck, it looks about right. You didn't say what size it is, but 10" Logans
commonly have 5 or 6 inch chucks on them. I've read that putting too large (and thus
heavy) a chuck on them can over stress the spindle and the bearings.

Edit: I was on the phone with Logan this morning, so I asked how much they get for the
shifter rack latch. It's 18 bucks.

Last edited:
OK, I got everything taken care of today, those things are heavier than I thought. Ended up renting a 3' x 5' Home Depot trailer for $15.64 for 4 hours. I have is temporarily on furniture dolly's until I decide on its final placement. I have right around $900 in it. Did I do ok at $900? I thought it was worth it because of the Starrett and Brown & Sharp measureing instruments. This includes the Starrett depth gauges, and the boxed Starrett set along with a Brown & Sharp dial indicator. The knurling tool is pretty neat also. I have never seen one that had 4 different patterns in one package. But then again I am fairly new to this. There were a lot of small assorted lathe bits, some new that I did not include in the photo, because well they are boring, Lol. I did give it a good wipe down and ended up rechecking the ways with a set of new parallel bars I just got. The Ways are actually in a lot (dare I say Way) better shape than I had originally thought. Not too sure about that chuck, it seems small. It has a single key slot, not 3 like my ENCO 9 x 20. I noticed the chuck key size if 1/4"? I think I will be shopping around for a new slightly larger chuck in the foreseeable future.It says Kalamazoo IND on it which makes me think it is of decent quality, does anyone know anything about this chuck? I looked at the Shifter Rack Assembly when I got it home also. There is a shot of that here also. Looks like the Latch itself is broken. At least the pin is in the shifter rack and there is part of the Latch itself. This is great news, as it gives me a starting point for the template. Enjoy the pics and thanks everyone for all the help and sharing your knowledge and information with me.
I'd say you did great! I paid more than that for my 816, albeit with a bench and tooling, and I was delighted.

Looks like it's ready to make chips. It's a clean machine. I don't know the prices in your area but I don't think you got hurt. Just out of curiosity, did it have any oil in the apron?

Yes the whole machine was pretty much drenched in oil, the owner was still using it and even when wiped down oil still is seeping out of the apron. I am going to use Boeshield T-9 on it to keep the rust off of it. I have had really good luck down here with Boeshield T-9 and rust prevention. This is a harsh climate and I want to preserve this thing as well as I can.

If you don't want to make the latch, Logan had them, the spring and pin on their website (not cheap, but nothing is).
Also, if you are looking at a chuck, several on here have bought this chuck from Shars:
http://www.shars.com/products/toolh...th-1-1-2-8-fully-machined-threaded-back-plate

Thanks for the info on the chuck. Looks like a bargain, I have seen some items from Shars online and was wondering what the quality was. Looks like I just got the answer. I am also looking for a collet closer bar as I plan on getting collets at some point. Is there any one who makes on that works with the Model 1875 that can be recommended as a good one to get? If not I have seen some on Ebay but I do not know what models of Logan lathes parts like that and will interchange with mine. Is there any cross reference info any one would possibly have?

I don't know about Florida, but around here getting a Logan like that, tooled up and with the Starrett stuff would be a bargain. I think you did very well.

As for the chuck, it looks about right. You didn't say what size it is, but 10" Logans
commonly have 5 or 6 inch chucks on them. I've read that putting too large (and thus
heavy) a chuck on them can over stress the spindle and the bearings.

Edit: I was on the phone with Logan this morning, so I asked how much they get for the
shifter rack latch. It's 18 bucks.

Thanks for that info, I keep forgetting they are still in business and have parts. I will be looking them up and ordering one within the next day. I will also ask about a collet closer bar for that machine.

Before you invest in collets, take the chuck off and evaluate how close you can get a cutting tool to the spindle nose. On my 10" Logan/Wards lathe, the carriage hits the QCGB and prevents working very close to the spindle.

I don't have any collets for my machine, but when I'm ready to go that route I will get a collet chuck rather than a spindle nose adapter. A collet chuck also will allow me to use either 5C or ER series collets, which are easier to come by and have a larger capacity than the 3AT collets that are required for the spindle nose.

Just food for thought, your machine may be different than mine. And congrats on the new machine!

I don't think Scott sells the collet closers anymore. I know that he doesn't sell the dogged spindle nut that is needed. I had one that I listed for sale but at the time I didn't have the nut for it and nobody was interested. I have since found the nut but I haven't had time to set it up and make sure everything works as it should...so it went back on the shelf.

Back