Logan Model 1875 Info

HiCap239

Registered
Registered
Hello Everyone,

I am a new member, and I have to say WOW. I posted on the Southbend threat yesterday a lathe I was interested in and was given enough info that I am not going to make the purchase. The users there saved my behind. So here I am, looking at another Logan. I cannot seem to find much info at all online about the model 1875 Logan Lathe. I am currently working a trade deal on. I will be going up to look at it tomorrow, it is owned by an older gentleman that is a machinist. He has owned this for several years, I will be taking my tools to give it a good overall accuracy check which he is fine with. The machine looks very clean and well maintained also. So my question is this, and I know this will vary based on the amount of tooling. What might the base price be on one of these with what is seen in the pictures? Just looking for a ballpark as he has stated there is a lot of tooling some of which I am getting the impression is not pictured. Any info on the history of these machines along with what these are going for would be appreciated. I am in south west Florida and these do come up somewhat regularly. I have seen some pretty high and low pricing on these at times, it is all about who owns it and the value "they" place on the machine. Just looking to get a fair assessment that's all. Thanks for looking and any info that can be provided.

Lathe 1.jpg

Lathe tools.jpg

I agree with Bob, certainly worth looking at. From what can be seen (an old 3-jaw and a drill chuck), I would consider it with no tooling. It is impossible to make out what is on that bench though. Cannot tell what (if anything) is in the cabinet side of the base.

If the tooling is just a bunch of lantern tool holders, it would add nothing for me. If the tooling includes a steady & follow rest, and a taper attachment ... well then that would be a different story. I guess it all depends on what tooling is there, not just if its a bunch or a little.

That lathe is identical to one that I have. Mine isn't as clean as the one pictured. The 10" Logans are great lathes. The downside is the small spindle bore. I have no idea what the prices are in Florida. In IL that lathe could cost anywhere from 500 to 1500 depending on condition and accessories. Check the gears for missing teeth. The ways will almost certainly have wear but excessive wear isn't good. Remove the plug on the front of the apron and see if the oil level is correct. It's pretty rare to find one with any lubricant in it at all. It might give you some idea of the care it's had.

Logan's are pretty good LATHES. Mine I've had for over forty years . Still will be working when I'm gone. Like the rest said Ck the gears , Ck the backlash run it thru all speeds and feeds all directions. Listen for any loud squealing or grinding. Feel the bearing on head stock after running if hot or the spindle is loose, it will need bearings. Tooling is up to you if it don't have the steady rest or follow rest they're pricy. Taper attachment more expensive than the lathe. How many chucks and kinds size also , collets , tool post , rocker or qctp, 4 way turret . The list is never-ending on tooling.

I like Logan Lathes as well. The picture of the lathe you included in your post looks like a nice one. You didn't mention if you were looking for a lathe restoration project or a lathe that would be ready to make chips as soon as you get it home.

When you take a look at it take a mirror with so you can hold it under the quick change gear box to check for missing teeth. Also, With the carriage close to the chuck, I like to lightly snug the carriage lock to the bed to get an idea of bed wear from the chuck to the end of the bed. Most times the carriage will become more difficult to move the further away from the chuck it moves indicating the bed is worn where the saddle most traveled. The condition of the bed is the main thing for me. Severe wear near the chuck or a twisted bed is a show stopper. Most of the rest of issues like bearings, shafts, backlash, etc. can be addressed and fixed. It's mostly a matter of purchase price plus replacement parts will determine the total investment.

As others have stated, the price can vary widely based on the tooling that comes with it. Good luck with your hunt for a used lathe.

I like Logan Lathes as well. The picture of the lathe you included in your post looks like a nice one. You didn't mention if you were looking for a lathe restoration project or a lathe that would be ready to make chips as soon as you get it home.

When you take a look at it take a mirror with so you can hold it under the quick change gear box to check for missing teeth. Also, With the carriage close to the chuck, I like to lightly snug the carriage lock to the bed to get an idea of bed wear from the chuck to the end of the bed. Most times the carriage will become more difficult to move the further away from the chuck it moves indicating the bed is worn where the saddle most traveled. The condition of the bed is the main thing for me. Severe wear near the chuck or a twisted bed is a show stopper. Most of the rest of issues like bearings, shafts, backlash, etc. can be addressed and fixed. It's mostly a matter of purchase price plus replacement parts will determine the total investment.

As others have stated, the price can vary widely based on the tooling that comes with it. Good luck with your hunt for a used lathe.

Logan's are pretty good LATHES. Mine I've had for over forty years . Still will be working when I'm gone. Like the rest said Ck the gears , Ck the backlash run it thru all speeds and feeds all directions. Listen for any loud squealing or grinding. Feel the bearing on head stock after running if hot or the spindle is loose, it will need bearings. Tooling is up to you if it don't have the steady rest or follow rest they're pricy. Taper attachment more expensive than the lathe. How many chucks and kinds size also , collets , tool post , rocker or qctp, 4 way turret . The list is never-ending on tooling.

The paint is original from what the owner said. I really do not care if I buy a lathe that needs restored or a fully functional one like this one. But I am super anal when I do tear something down....I guess that comes from building engines years ago. So if I do end up doing a restoration It will be 110%. I will probably be on this board a lot if that happens down the road. I have an unfounded affinity for South Bend 9" lathes also. Strange because I have never seen one up close or even ran one. But anyways...I think the tooling will make or break the deal. I will be heading up there within the next 45 minutes to look at it and make my decision. I have probably around $1900 ish of stuff in trade value that he will accept. I have looked around online and found a few auction sites that have these for sale and some sold/ unsold auctions that have ended. Prices vary greatly from location to location is what I am seeing. I have seen auctions that have sold this same lathe for as little as $470, lathe looked in pretty good shape with an extra chuck and some tooling, no steady rest though and for as much as $1950.00 with an extra chuck and really no tooling to speak of which is on a for sale site. I have also seen a very recently auction on Ebay than had one for $1000 that did not sell and was relisted for $800 and did not sell it was a local pick up auction up north. Thanks for the info on the tooling, more specifically the stuff that is pricy. I know for fact he does not have a QCTP. We discussed that. He does have some very expensive measuring instruments. So we will se where it goes.

Thanks for reminding me to bring my mirror! Also great info I did not realize about the twisted bed. Looks like I will be checking that out also. I don't care if I buy one that I have to rebuild or a fully functional lathe. I just want something better than my POS ENCO 9 x 20. I have gotten some great information from you folks once again and it seems every time I log on here I get a little more educated. Knowledge is the key here and I really appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge on these lathes and what to look for with me. I wash I would have done this before I bought that ENCO for sure. I have learned from working on that one so at least something good came of it. Anyways, I need to jump off her and get ready to head out meet with the owner of that 1875. Thanks again every one!

Thanks for reminding me to bring my mirror! Also great info I did not realize about the twisted bed. Looks like I will be checking that out also. I don't care if I buy one that I have to rebuild or a fully functional lathe. I just want something better than my POS ENCO 9 x 20. I have gotten some great information from you folks once again and it seems every time I log on here I get a little more educated. Knowledge is the key here and I really appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge on these lathes and what to look for with me. I wash I would have done this before I bought that ENCO for sure. I have learned from working on that one so at least something good came of it. Anyways, I need to jump off her and get ready to head out meet with the owner of that 1875. Thanks again every one!
HiCap239, MBfrontier was not talking about a twisted bed, he was describing how to check for a worn bed. With bed wear, which is usually mostly near the chuck, the ways become worn downwards, making the distance from the top of the ways to the carriage clamping surface below the ways less. If you tighten the carriage while it is near the chuck and then loosen it just enough that it moves with slight resistance, and then move the carriage to the right where there is typically less wear, you can see if the carriage gets harder to move as it goes to the right, indicating wear near the chuck. It is a quick and dirty test, and does not quantify the extent of the wear very well, but at least it gives you an idea of what is going on. Looking at the ways visually will not really show much beyond extreme wear and physical damage, (dings, etc.)

The good news on Logans is that Logan still sells parts for them, so between eBay and Logan, you can fix just about anything. Of course, that can add a lot to the purchase price as I'm finding out with
mine. Pretty much all old lathes like this need something, but when you look at it, make a list of everything you think it needs and add up the cost. Up front cost is only the beginning, and spending
a bit more for a machine in good shape with tooling will save money in the long run. Take a good look at the condition of the chucks: they're expensive to replace and it's easy to overlook them
while looking at the machine.

Back