Logan 11 Restoration Questionsquestions

You wouldn't happen to have a 40t or 22t gear that mounts on the gearbox slider handle, would you?

Sorry... just trying a long shot...

I can get all these gears from Logan, but they are kinda pricey...

What would this lathe be worth if I managed to get it operational? I'm not really interested in selling, but I'd rather not spend more on it than it is worth...

-Bear
No go on those gears. If you lived in the Midwest you could be patient and wait for a cheap parts machine to show up on CL.....probably not as likely in GA.

Ok, thanks for all your help...

I figured out why the spindle bearing was so rough... when I got the dried crud off of it, the metal seal (shield?) on the side had a dent in it... it looked like a PO had tried to drive it out with a punch... I carefully popped that cover off, now it spins smoothly and easily.

But... I can't get the cover back on, so now I have a bearing with an open side...

It is a New Departure bearing... under the crud, I found NDH stamped on it.

I know others will disagree with me but I always pop the shields off the bearings so I can clean them thoroughly. I soak them in pine-sol and then rinse the gunk out with hot water followed by a bath in wd40. blow them dry and fill them 1/3 full with Mobil synthetic electric motor grease. The bearings are covered up when they're installed anyway. I've never considered it a problem.

I'm thinking that I will use this bearing with the missing cover... and just see if it lasts...

Now... I think I have everything sorted out except the wear on the front way... I got a quote for $2000 to grind the ways... not gonna happen...

So I'm looking for alternatives. Maybe a good bed will pop up on ebay eventually...

When a lathe gets parted out one of leftover parts is the bed. I have one in my scrap pile right now. I didn't even check it out. It's from a 10" change gear machine so it would need machining to make it work on a quick change machine. They're not in big demand. You might find one if you're patient.

I rebuilt an 11" Powermatic. I took the old bearings to a local bearing supplier and they matched them up by the numbers on them. They don't make the New Departure bearings any longer. The bearings I purchased have worked for two years now with no problems. All the bushings are standard size oilite bushings and I bought those at the bearing supplier also. I replaced the bushings in the back gear and on the side drive gears. The bushings inside the cone are the only ones I bought from Logan as I couldn't find them elsewhere. I still want to take the QC gear box apart and replace those bushings.

camper,

You are free to buy whatever from whomever. But if everyone behaves like that, sooner rather than later you-all won't be able to buy the otherwise impossible to locate parts because Logan won't be selling them anymore.

Maybe so, but if you're on a limited budget, you have to make do with what you can afford.

The spindle bearing on my Logan 820 was "cogging" or rough when I got it. I soaked it in brake cleaner, rinsed in kerosene, and blew out with compressed air probably 8 times over a two week period. Your bearing is probably fine (as mine was), just filled with ancient hardened grease. Give it a good patient cleaning, and re-pack with modern grease and see how it feels. I suspect it will be just fine.

You can probably fix about 80% of your problems with a thorough cleaning and lube job. There will be some chipped gear teeth, and even some missing gear teeth. Chipped teeth are often usable, and then you watch eBay for a good replacement when it comes along. Logan/Powrmatic were very popular machines, and used parts are easier to find than many other brands.

I have made replacement gears for Logans before. Yours look like simple 16dp spur gears. You can sometimes get them new from Boston Gear, or if you're not in a hurry and will spring for the material (we used cast iron), I'm sure we could help you. I like seeing the older machines restored and used again.

GG

If you haven't seen the youtube videos from Tubalcain, he has one on rebuilding a Logan gearbox that talks about specifying gears. Might be helpful in buying a gear from
Boston Gear.

MACHINE SHOP TIPS #130 Repairing a Logan Lathe Gear Box PART 1

Back