Logan 11 Restoration Questionsquestions

The spindle looks fine... and I agree, the old bearing is not gonna be reused. Its too rough.

-Bear

I looked through my gears. The only one I have that I think would fit that lathe has a chip out of two of the teeth. You really have to wonder how that happens. The only scenario that I can think of is shifting the tumbler while it's running. I've never tried that.....

Are the teeth just chipped on the edges? If so, I may still be able to use it with some 'selective' blending...

I have seen guys shift lathe gears while running at work... I would bet they would never do that on their own machines.

I should have taken a pic. The chips are at the edge. I'll get you a pic tomorrow.

Ok, thanks! I appreciate it...

Is that spindle bearing a standard bearing or is there something special about it? The Logan website lists quite a few bearings by part number, but there is no description of any of them...

Yes.....it's special. I meant to ask you if the original bearing was a New Departure or a bearing the previous owner installed. I'm kind of surprised that it was spinning on the spindle. That bearing should be a press fit.

The only markings that I can see on it is the stamping '9L10'... other than that, I don't know anything about it... a google search on 9L10 didn't really come up with anything useful...

It was tight on the spindle, but wasn't turning... I could spin the spindle by useing the chuck for leverage, but it looked like the spindle was slipping in the bearing race. I could be wrong...

When I got the spindle out, I looked at it closely, and it didn't show any signs of wear or galling, so the bearing may have been turning. I could not turn it with my hand until I soaked it in oil for a while.

It fits on the spindle and in the headstock bore like it belongs there, so I feel like it is the original bearing.

I don't know a lot about bearings but I do know that the spindle bearings (at least the front one) are the heart of your lathe. There's been a lot of discussion about replacement bearings for the logans. Some say that any bearing made today will be as good as the ones available back when your machine was produced. Others say that the original New Departure zero clearance bearings were a cut above. l know you can cross reference the numbers at a bearing house and get one for about 30 bucks. I personally wouldn't want to run that bearing. I would expect chatter. I'd be interested to hear from someone who runs the cheaper bearing just to find out how it performs .

I may have to try to contact Logan and ask them... but I will do some more looking, maybe if I get the bearing dimensions, I can find a replacement.

Chuck, thanks for all your help.

20161204_101836.jpg 20161204_101741.jpg I saved this gear because in a pinch I could braze and file it and have something that works. If you want it you can have it for the cost of shipping.
Are the teeth just chipped on the edges? If so, I may still be able to use it with some 'selective' blending...

I have seen guys shift lathe gears while running at work... I would bet they would never do that on their own machines.

Back