Logan 11 Restoration Questionsquestions

Powermatic may have used a different bearing than the original Logan would have. My understanding is that they bought the name and inventory, and then cheapened production with some parts, more so over time, although many of the basic machine components were still original quality. I have a powermatic Burke mill rite, which is kinda the same situation.

That said, Logan offers support and some parts even for the powermatic models. I'd check there first, get the bearing spec'd and priced, then decide. Most logans have a pre-load on the front bearings, as I understand it, that makes substitutions difficult. Powermatic versions might be different.

Thanks, Chuck, I'll take it... you can send me an e-mail at bear9757@bellsouth.net and let me know where to send payment to.

-Bear

Thanks, Chuck, I'll take it... you can send me an e-mail at bear9757@bellsouth.net and let me know where to send payment to.

-Bear
OK....this is a 30 tooth gear. OD is 1.993. ID is 0.750 with a bushing bringing it down to 0.625. Thickness is 0.568. I just want to make sure it's the right gear before I ship it to you.

No, thats not the right gear... I need a 34 tooth...

Oh, well... I appreciate it anyway...

I thought I had put that it was a 34 tooth in my original post, now I realize that I didn't... my fault.

Thanks, anyway..

-Bear

I may have to try to contact Logan and ask them... but I will do some more looking, maybe if I get the bearing dimensions, I can find a replacement.

Chuck, thanks for all your help.

I just went through this with a 10" Logan, and bought the bearings from them. The double row front bearing is special, and as I understand it can't be cross referenced. The rear bearing
is, I believe nothing special and could be cross referenced at a bearing supply. I bought both from Logan at around $240.00/pair. Most of that was the front bearing.

No, thats not the right gear... I need a 34 tooth...

Oh, well... I appreciate it anyway...

I thought I had put that it was a 34 tooth in my original post, now I realize that I didn't... my fault.

Thanks, anyway..

-Bear
Glad I checked. No sense paying postage for a junk gear.

You wouldn't happen to have a 40t or 22t gear that mounts on the gearbox slider handle, would you?

Sorry... just trying a long shot...

I can get all these gears from Logan, but they are kinda pricey...

What would this lathe be worth if I managed to get it operational? I'm not really interested in selling, but I'd rather not spend more on it than it is worth...

-Bear

Ok, thanks! I appreciate it...

Is that spindle bearing a standard bearing or is there something special about it? The Logan website lists quite a few bearings by part number, but there is no description of any of them...

I have a copy of an old ad for the 10" Powermatic: it lists the bearings as the Pre-loaded New Departure bearings, so they would be the same type as a Logan bearing.

You wouldn't happen to have a 40t or 22t gear that mounts on the gearbox slider handle, would you?

Sorry... just trying a long shot...

I can get all these gears from Logan, but they are kinda pricey...

What would this lathe be worth if I managed to get it operational? I'm not really interested in selling, but I'd rather not spend more on it than it is worth...

-Bear
I might have. I don't have time to check tonight. Maybe get a chance tomorrow night . What part of the country are you located in ?

I'm in Georgia... west of Atlanta

Back