LMS 3960 or G0704 mill for a small lab?

If you have one, roughing that out on a bandsaw would be a good start. That way you just need to clean it up.

I agree you need to use a band say to rough that out. A slitting saw would but a pritty havey load on that small mill.

Rats, that's what I was afraid of. Even with a 1mm thick blade?

I have access to a portable horizontal band saw (it's how I've been cutting up the 6' bar I started with) but I'm hesitant to use it on a 4" cut like this. It struggles a bit with the 2.5" square stock so I'd prefer not to double the distance that the blade is engaged.

Last edited:
TIGL, Have you tried a different TPI blade O the saw? Is this a 4 x6 style like HF sells? if so it should handle it but you would need at most 10-14 vari TPI. But 8TPI would be great if you can find one. Even carefull use of a hacksaw may be quicker. Mark

TIGL, Have you tried a different TPI blade O the saw? Is this a 4 x6 style like HF sells? if so it should handle it but you would need at most 10-14 vari TPI. But 8TPI would be great if you can find one. Even carefull use of a hacksaw may be quicker. Mark

Knowing that I'd be making these wide cuts I got the fewest tpi blade I could find (12 I think). It still felt kinda rough :-/

The 12 tpi should cut it use wd40 to keep the cut lubed.

Knowing that I'd be making these wide cuts I got the fewest tpi blade I could find (12 I think). It still felt kinda rough :-/

My 4x6 eventually cuts anything I can fit into it. Use the lowest speed, not too much pressure, and lots of lube. One 4" cut or four 1" cuts are the same to the saw as long as you don't force it.

My 4x6 eventually cuts anything I can fit into it. Use the lowest speed, not too much pressure, and lots of lube. One 4" cut or four 1" cuts are the same to the saw as long as you don't force it.

The 12 tpi should cut it use wd40 to keep the cut lubed.

I bought a gallon of WD40 and put it in a spray bottle to use as general cutting fluid. I've used it a lot for endmilling and bandsawing but it still didn't leave me with a great feeling. I'll try it but I suspect I'll end up milling the thing out instead. I also need to make a version of that part that is 12" long so no way I could cut that with the bandsaw.

Shame really. The slitting saw would be perfect if the machine could handle it :-/

Shame really. The slitting saw would be perfect if the machine could handle it :-/
A 2.75" saw can't cut to 1" on an arbor which is 1.25" in diameter. Max would be less than .75", I was going to suggest multiple passes but it won't work anyway.

I don't like the stepped arbors, the runout is too much.

To be honest that machine is too small for what you want to do. :(

A 2.75" saw can't cut to 1" on an arbor which is 1.25" in diameter. Max would be less than .75", I was going to suggest multiple passes but it won't work anyway.

I don't like the stepped arbors, the runout is too much.

To be honest that machine is too small for what you want to do. :(

I would absolutely be doing it in multiple passes, it would be crazy to do it any other way on this size machine (its pretty much crazy regardless). I thought I had math'd it correctly but now that you point it out, its obvious that saw is too small to do a 1" DOC. I suppose I could finish the cuts with the band saw but then why not use the bandsaw for everything? I could also cut a .75x.75 section off the corner and take the last .25 off with an endmill. That would also make the runout less of an issue. Hmmmmmmm....

Yes, sadly it is probably too small. Live and learn I suppose :-/ Even with the additional cooling from a 120 CFM fan you think it would be too much?

Last edited:
Even with the additional cooling from a 120 CFM fan you think it would be too much?

Never know till you try, check the temps as you go. You can buy a temperature measuring gun from Harbor Freight.

Never know till you try, check the temps as you go. You can buy a temperature measuring gun from Harbor Freight.

Very true. I can probably get a IR thermometer from maintenance but I'm still nervous. I don't think Chris would send me a third board so I need to make sure I don't fry this one too. At what sort of temperature should I start to get worried?

Back