LMS 3960 or G0704 mill for a small lab?

AS much as a liked my LMS 3960 I had to let it go this year (space slow work ect.) But it was very capable of the work you need to do. that said I your company will spring for the G0704 get it. I say this because your next request from the boss may be for something with a bigger base. If you go with LMS be sure to make the work piece Square that way you can set up stops on one side to realign the part when you have to rotate it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Update:

Since the general consensus seems to be that my 18"x18" plate should be on the upper end of (but still safely within) the capabilities of the LMS machine, I decided to stick with it since having the machine and all necessary tooling as a single line item dramatically simplified the corporate approval process. Since maintenance has a nice DTI I should have everything wee need once my pile of aluminum gets here. I would like to have a fly cutter but I suppose that can wait.

Thanks everybody

Have fun with your project!

And you might update us occasionally with your progress in the PM/LMS forum. I for one would be interested in how this turns out. :)

Bill

Have fun with your project!

And you might update us occasionally with your progress in the PM/LMS forum. I for one would be interested in how this turns out. :)

Bill

Thanks, I will!

One last question, I realized I can get a fly cutter along with the raw materials from MMC. I've never tried to grind my own tool bit so I thought I'd get a premade one. I know I need a left handed turning bit but I'm not sure what style is best for surfacing. Any suggestions?

LMS has a fly cutter with a pre-ground cutter and a 3/8" shank for around $20

Bill

Thanks, I will!

One last question, I realized I can get a fly cutter along with the raw materials from MMC. I've never tried to grind my own tool bit so I thought I'd get a premade one. I know I need a left handed turning bit but I'm not sure what style is best for surfacing. Any suggestions?

LMS has a fly cutter with a pre-ground cutter and a 3/8" shank for around $20

Bill

I'm familiar with the LMS one and may buy it if I can't find what I need. The reason I wanted to get the one from McMaster is that it will be much easier to get it approved if I add it in with my raw materials rather than writing up a separate application for approval to buy capital goods. That's corporate America for you I suppose :p

Edit: The ability to buy preground HSS bits from mcmaster is also helpful since I am a sub novice at that craft

I had a lms with the tiltingcolumn, great starter machine... but for a work environment I would go witbh the larger one if you can. now thagt I have a few more years under my belt I would have bought a larger used machine instead of the lms mini mill. iput the igaging dro's on it which are a great add, and the gas piston also a great add.

But even after all that, its still a small mill, and for 1500 you can get a pretty big used knee mill, andx have alot more capability.

I am lucky I guess, in that I am able to expense purchases up to 50k. For work.

Now if I could just figure out how to use that for a couple of machines for my garage... :think1:

Bill

I'm familiar with the LMS one and may buy it if I can't find what I need. The reason I wanted to get the one from McMaster is that it will be much easier to get it approved if I add it in with my raw materials rather than writing up a separate application for approval to buy capital goods. That's corporate America for you I suppose :p

Edit: The ability to buy preground HSS bits from mcmaster is also helpful since I am a sub novice at that craft

I am lucky I guess, in that I am able to expense purchases up to 50k. For work.

Now if I could just figure out how to use that for a couple of machines for my garage... :think1:

Bill

Lucky! That's seriously awesome.

I'm thinking style 2 but I'd like some confirmation that its the right choice
plane-giant-propellers-mad-props-1303689948s.jpg

plane-giant-propellers-mad-props-1303689948s.jpg

Lucky! That's seriously awesome.

I'm thinking style 2 but I'd like some confirmation that its the right choice
View attachment 73398

Those bits are for a lathe. A flycutter needs to lay or be ground perpendicular the work piece. Install the flycutter, take a 1 2 3 block laid on the table, mark the angle to grind the tool bit and grind. Leave a little relief on the back edge so the cutting edge is the lowest point.

Dave

Back