[How do I?] Lift Heavy Items Onto Lathe.

We may be talking about same thing. The one in my pictures has a mechanical/ friction brake built into it. No ratchets, maybe there is, that I know of. I haven't looked at it lately. I also have one mounted on a tool & die cart dad built several years ago. It's holding a 350 lb piece of pink granite and a bunch of inspections tools right now. Waiting for it let go and go boom when it hits the floor.

We may be talking about same thing. The one in my pictures has a mechanical/ friction brake built into it. No ratchets, maybe there is, that I know of. I haven't looked at it lately. I also have one mounted on a tool & die cart dad built several years ago. It's holding a 350 lb piece of pink granite and a bunch of inspections tools right now. Waiting for it let go and go boom when it hits the floor.

The boat winches I have were used to control a block and tackle that lifted my lathe off the floor onto a couple of cabinets.
The ratchet is also a mechanical brake. At no time did anything remotely come close to accidently hitting the floor and going boom.
Do I understand right that you are waiting for a boat winch to fail and drop a bunch of inspection tools on the floor?

I boat wenches I'm talking about are the one's that have a ratchet pawl that you flip on/off of the drum and free wheels the line until the ratchet is flipped back into place.

Yup that's what I use too. Mine has a position for ratcheting forwards, backwards or in-between for freewheeling. Do you not find it reliable?

Yup that's what I use too. Mine has a position for ratcheting forwards, backwards or in-between for freewheeling. Do you not find it reliable?
Newer one's maybe fine. The older one's were scary to use. Definitely were not for lifting!

Thanks Ben I need something to pick my stuff up from the floor, and also lower it back down again, when I'm done with it.

Bob,

My 8'' four jaw chuck with D1-4 back plate weighs just under 44 lbs. (roughly 20 KG.)

Last edited:
If anyone makes a SkyHook please forward detailed pics or perhaps drawings.

Daryl
MN

Thanks for the pictures they look good, but more invasive of space than I can have, and I cant envision lifting anything heavier than 25kg, I'm sure my 4 jaw is under that probably 15/16kg. the real problem is space my lathe shares a very smoall corner of the car garage, and according to my other half is not welcome even on it's own, so to start building serious sky hooks will only invite trouble. Maybe later when she has goten usd to the lathe being there.

I think the forces on the toolpost when machining are pretty high, I don't know the numbers, but taking a heavy intermittent cut would be pretty severe. I've even seen guys run a tool post into spinning chuck with no apparent damage apart from a broken toolbit. Not that I intend to do that, but I don't think the loads I'm considering would be excessive.

Installing/removing my 4 jaw has never been anything to look forward to. It is really at the limit of my capability so I'm getting excited about about making something along the same lines as you have mentioned. Possibly mounted on the carriage where the travelling rest mounts. Would you please keep us posted on your developments?

Back