[How do I?] Lift Heavy Items Onto Lathe.

how about one of those lifts that fit in the back of a pickup,it telescopes and when done just set it back against the wall dave

Holy cow that RT looks heavy! I like this thread, anyone else have a picture of their solution they would share?

Jim

Ben, I like that idea!

I have a rolling cart with a wood top built up to the height of my mill table. I adjust the knee to the height of the cart and slide my vise and RT on and off the mill.

how about one of those lifts that fit in the back of a pickup,it telescopes and when done just set it back against the wall dave

I've thought about them, but they a little bit big fo what I want, I'll have another look, as long as I don't have to modify it too much.

Ben, I like that idea!

I have a rolling cart with a wood top built up to the height of my mill table. I adjust the knee to the height of the cart and slide my vise and RT on and off the mill.

Thanks Ben I need something to pick my stuff up from the floor, and also lower it back down again, when I'm done with it.

What about using the same approach as in the video but use a small boat winch mounted on it instead of the screw?
396 × 432 - boattrailerpartsplace.com
With a boat winch you can go down to the floor and up to the lathe and back. The smallest I have seen is rated 800 lbs empty spool and 300 lbs with full spool.

Last edited:
Yeah, let that boat wench get away from you and see what happens. Yicks! Really need one with the built in mechanical brake. I have a portable wench set up, one with the mechanical brake that I use around the heavier things the jib hoist will not handle.

100_1603.JPG

100_1604.JPG

100_1605.JPG

Yeah, let that boat wench get away from you and see what happens. Yicks! Really need one with the built in mechanical brake. I have a portable wench set up, one with the mechanical brake that I use around the heavier things the jib hoist will not handle.

Ken,
Not sure we are talking about the same boat winch. The ones I use have a ratchet for both directions and I can let go of the handle anytime without it running away on me. They look like the one in your pictures.

It seems to me that a scaled down version of your set up, but mounted on the lathe would meet Bob's requirements. I would not mount it on the tool post however. If we had some pics of Bob's lathe it would help to imagine some possible solutions to mounting it.

Last edited:
Back