[How do I?] Lift Heavy Items Onto Lathe.

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Owing to an old back injury I find it difficult to lift heavy items onto my lathe. Lifting the 3 jaw chuck is very difficult, and I can't lift the 4 jaw at all, likewise the steady rest is out of the question.

Has anyone made or tried to make a lifting device that fits on the lathe, say in place of tool post holder. something that could lift say 100kg max probably mostly only 30-50kg, would be fine.

Hi Bob,
I built a sort of jib crane that I fastened to the floor and wall. everything was from the local scrap yard for $60.00 I use it to lift stuff onto the DoAll and lift my 20"4 Jaw chuck and 12" chuck
Cheers
Martin
hoist.JPG

I've been using an engine hoist.
Regardless, when loading stock, or changing the chuck I've got plywood sheets I place on my lathe bed.
I've been curious about the skyhook, shouldn't be that difficult to build.
But, have wondered if it puts inappropriate stress on the saddle/compound?

Daryl
MN

There is a device on the market that fits a QCTP made for assisting on minor lifts like that. Let me see if I can find a pic. I don't see why you couldn't build one.

http://www.skyhook.cc/model8500.html

Thanks. I don't think they have anything like this in Australia, but it gives me a few ideas, I think I can make one without too much difficulty.

Hi Bob,
I built a sort of jib crane that I fastened to the floor and wall. everything was from the local scrap yard for $60.00 I use it to lift stuff onto the DoAll and lift my 20"4 Jaw chuck and 12" chuck
Cheers
Martin
View attachment 134960

Nice, but a bit bigger than what I have in mind, my 4 jaw is only 8". It's just that I have a crook back. What I'm thinking about is a little jib crane that mounts on the tool post.

I've been using an engine hoist.
Regardless, when loading stock, or changing the chuck I've got plywood sheets I place on my lathe bed.
I've been curious about the skyhook, shouldn't be that difficult to build.
But, have wondered if it puts inappropriate stress on the saddle/compound?

Daryl
MN

I intend to make a wooden board to protect lathe bed ways, as I was taught when an apprentice. My 4 jaw is only 8". I doubt that it would weigh more than 20kg. But I just can't lift it with my back. I don't think that 20kg would be a problem for the lathe, it weighs 280 kg. and is bolted down to a 20kg base frame.

I think as we reach a certain age we should all be assigned a scantily clad Amazon to help with such chores. :) Mike

Sounds good but Amazons are pretty scarce over here in down under, beside the other half might object. I had enough trouble just getting the lathe.

Here's a couple of pictures of the one's I've built and installed in my shop. They are rated for about 300 to 400 lbs lifting with a SF of about 2 designed into them. I know SF should be 3 or 4 but for the limited stuff I use it for, the heaviest item I have to pick up is a 215 lb rotary table onto the mill.

100_0993.JPG

100_0998.JPG

Back