Let's talk , Cincinnati Toolmaster 1A and 1B

Cal I think this says it all

IMG_7864.JPG

It was originally 2 phase ...

I can't believe I didn't even pay attention to this. Now would be the time for me to be led by the hand .

So can I buy a three phase size 0 starter and use all the other components or is this all an issue?

Also in post #33 I have a video on YouTube which shows you exactly why I need a repeated or to replace the contactor. I don't know how I would fix it and can it be used with three phase? I'm not sure what went to the T4A that's why I was confused but it looks like the D1 D2 and D3 originally went to the spindle motor . The original spindle motor is long gone and someone had replaced it with a single phase 220v and just had a plug to it . It seems that it was being used as a drill press only. The original Fairbanks Morris shaper motor is on the rear of the overarm and it is a 3 phase motor. The table feed is a Baldor 3 phase industrial motor which doesn't believe to be original either .

I have retrofitted a 1hp 3 phase Bridgeport pancake motor for the spindle btw .

So lay it too me ? Where do we go from here? Is this freaking rare or what?

Josh , origionally 2 phase ok I emailed you my info and just now I NOTICE YOUR plate wiring diagram K-148187 correct=thats what mine is??

whops disregard i was payin attention to the numbers yours is "M" 148187 mine is "K" 148187

Cal I read all this and got your email . Sam I got your email too with all the info thanks for going to the trouble of finding out the info on your machine for me I know it was a pain!

Cal I need to re read everything well and email you a few things . I'm glad I made the right choice on the starter I purchased . I am coming around to understanding this stuff it seems .

Josh

Josh , origionally 2 phase ok I emailed you my info and just now I NOTICE YOUR plate wiring diagram K-148187 correct=thats what mine is??

whops disregard i was payin attention to the numbers yours is "M" 148187 mine is "K" 148187
Do you have wiring diagram 148187?

Cal

Hey Sam ! Doing good but its just taking a while. Mike and Cal were kind enough to call me on multiple days and walk me through it. Cal really spent some time in detail helping me with the wiring diagram and the parts I needed to buy. I have all the parts now but I am stripping the mill to repaint it before I rewire it . The little shafts that change the gears on the table feed were bent so I took the cover off and found some pretty rotten oil inside so I'm cleaning that all out and making new little shafts for the gear levers . I might have to get the lathe going before I get the mill going .

I took off all the coolant components and cleaned out the tank... Puke!

Can anyone tell me exactly how the pumps worked on these? There is two pipes one coming off the side of the pump attachment and then one going inside and up the column which is supposed to go to the adjustment for your coolant speed and then there is the drain but I can't understand quit how that inside pipe hooked up to the pump. And the service manual doesn't show you technically . I may have to give up on finding an original pump. I'm pretty bummed about that. Neither Fairbanks morse or Cincinnati want to help. I sure could show them my fist one day. They always act like they are searching for you and then just ignore you.

I may just try an in tank pump now I just got to find a good 240v in tank pump.

I got a new motor starter for 3 phase and protecting all 3 phases . Got all the right heaters for my motors and some overload relays to put the heaters in . I am all covered .

I will have some photos up soon

All I can say is when I cleaned mine out, after removing the housing bolts and pull the pump out slightly to get the (inside pipe) off thats about it. The
pump itself just sits in the base in fluid. Nothing Nasa its only a little propeller (a circulator) way over built. I still say a small builge pump is all you need with a little 12vt transformer. The pipe inside the column goes up to a ball valve on or off or just crack it for flow. If the valve is off nothing happens cause its not a pressure pump it just moves fluid. The stream is no way a fire truck. Although I never really use it, rather use a little acid brush, but I can throttle it so it just goes plink, plink, plink. If you saw my post somewhere, where I had a run of hole sawing alum 4" disk's instead of the usual lube I found good ole gas with an acid brush works best, besides a little cooling it keeps chips dry and clear. Oily lubes seem to keep gumming. then I started spraying with carb cleaner and found, hey its cutting better with carb cleaner only too expensive, so a cup of gas is the ticket. Again the motor looks as big as a small car starter 220 3ph??? = just one look at it, looks like a $500 thing, way over built. Imagine all that engineering while a gal. can hung on the ceiling with a drip hose would do all that?? so you wonder why these mills were so expensive. Still think I would look into a fish tank
circulator all ya need. I guess in my former life, I was trained by Henry Ford!!!!!!! good one huh Josh? Sam

Josh,

You might try an evaporative cooler pump:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cat...keyword=cooler+pump&selectedCatgry=Search+All
They are available in 240 single phase and can move a lot of fluid.

... I never really use it, ... If you saw my post somewhere, where I had a run of hole sawing alum 4" disk's instead of the usual lube I found good ole gas with an acid brush works best, besides a little cooling it keeps chips dry and clear. Oily lubes seem to keep gumming. then I started spraying with carb cleaner and found, hey its cutting better with carb cleaner only too expensive, so a cup of gas is the ticket. ...
Sam

Yikes! Sam, that's a SERIOUS accident waiting to happen. Gasoline has no place in your shop. Try WD-40 instead, it works great for cutting aluminum.

Cal

Josh,

You might try an evaporative cooler pump:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cat...keyword=cooler+pump&selectedCatgry=Search+All
They are available in 240 single phase and can move a lot of fluid.

Yikes! Sam, that's a SERIOUS accident waiting to happen. Gasoline has no place in your shop. Try WD-40 instead, it works great for cutting aluminum.

Cal

dont know what to tell ya but, I was born with gas so was my father & maybe its how I or we do things. But its alright for electric fuel pumps in the
gas tanks nowadays?????? Now thats not only serious accident waiting to happen; its STUPID..

Stripped the panel and am starting to rewire and add new parts
IMG_8132.JPG

Pulled the shaper off to do some cleaning and repainting also give myself more head room while rewiring the machine.
IMG_8134.JPG

Then I remembered the shafts on the gear selectors for the power feed were bent so I pulled the cover and the gear selectors out and I'm remaking the shafts .
IMG_8135.JPG

IMG_8133.JPG

Here is the pump housing
IMG_8136.JPG

Pump filter
IMG_8138.JPG

Cleaned out the tank . There is just an oil residue left now .
IMG_8139.JPG

IMG_8134.JPG

Last edited:
Back