Learning to TIG

40A should be plenty. Why can't you install the correct receptacle?

40A should be plenty. Why can't you install the correct receptacle?
It's not a problem, I'm in the midst of rewiring the whole thing. just haven't got to that yet. Currently all of my machines are pulled into the middle of the space. To say that it's a mess is an understatement.

lol. Sounds like my garage.

lol. Sounds like my garage.
I'm going to rent a storage container for a month, drop it in my driveway, load all my junk into it and spend a solid week to finish the wiring, and board the interior.

It will run on 110v so I'll do some practice at that voltage but I have some work to do before I can fully use it. I only have 40A in my shop so I'm going to pull a bigger service and run a 30A 220V dedicated circuit.
When I designed my new shed/shop electrical layout I had a 30 amp 220V dedicated welder outlet installed. Then prior to insulating/paneling I decided to upgrade that circuit to a 50A 220V as I wanted the extra amps for unanticipated welder requirements.

When I designed my new shed/shop electrical layout I had a 30 amp 220V dedicated welder outlet installed. Then prior to insulating/paneling I decided to upgrade that circuit to a 50A 220V as I wanted the extra amps for unanticipated welder requirements.
If I switch out the service to 60A I will likely go to a 40A welder circuit.

I always get a kick out of Jody when he says, I need to practice.

Bob Moffett at weld.com is another one who does that.

I'd be thrilled to turn out welds half as good as their "bad ones". :grin:

It's not a problem, I'm in the midst of rewiring the whole thing. just haven't got to that yet. Currently all of my machines are pulled into the middle of the space. To say that it's a mess is an understatement.

Sounds like my basement for the past 2 years. I'll get things kind of organized and then something changes and I'm back to chaos. It is usually a good change like getting a new machine, but it is still very disruptive. If I could ever get some of my home repair projects done I'd have a lot more room. I have the materials but never seem to find the time / motivation to do the work. :rolleyes:

Bob Moffett at weld.com is another one who does that.

I'd be thrilled to turn out welds half as good as their "bad ones". :grin:

Sounds like my basement for the past 2 years. I'll get things kind of organized and then something changes and I'm back to chaos. It is usually a good change like getting a new machine, but it is still very disruptive. If I could ever get some of my home repair projects done I'd have a lot more room. I have the materials but never seem to find the time / motivation to do the work. :rolleyes:
Yup Bob is excellent. I've watched hours of his work too. Over lunch I watched this:
Pretty simple butt joint that Bob admits kicked his umm butt :) He readily admits that he hasn't done anything like it for decades so needs to go and relearn.
This kind of statement is both impressive in its humility and somewhat terrifying to me as a beginner just starting this journey.

Yup Bob is excellent. I've watched hours of his work too. Over lunch I watched this:
Pretty simple butt joint that Bob admits kicked his umm butt :) He readily admits that he hasn't done anything like it for decades so needs to go and relearn.
This kind of statement is both impressive in its humility and somewhat terrifying to me as a beginner just starting this journey.

I'm building a wheeled base for the bandsaw I just got, and it is my first MIG project since I finished class last December.
I was feeling pretty good at my abilities by the end of class. After no welding for 6 months, the grinder got more action than I'd like to admit.

Definitely a use it or lose it skill.

Alrighty folks.
These are my first TIG beads that are worth showing.
1/8” plate
1/16” filler
Running about 100-102 amps
17cfm
#7 cup
3/32” tungsten
fbfb4c3fbff3743052319941a83926a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back