Learning to TIG

TIG is awesome. Once you start, you never know what you'll end up with :)

DSC_9177-1-1580x480.jpg
You just had to show me that car didn't you? ;)
(Very cool rabbit hole!!!)

Congrats! I LOVE TIG welding, my absolute favorite. Been doing it since the mid 80s, but I still can't stack dimes. To me, TIG is similar to playing drums.
Rub your belly, pat your head and tap your foot all at the same time.

30 amps is not enough, it's the same amount of work to run 50 amps and not that much more money. I've blown a 40 amp breaker running my RPC/mill.

Congrats! I LOVE TIG welding, my absolute favorite. Been doing it since the mid 80s, but I still can't stack dimes. To me, TIG is similar to playing drums.

30 amps is not enough, it's the same amount of work to run 50 amps and not that much more money. I've blown a 40 amp breaker running my RPC/mill.
Thanks, I'm excited!
I have to pull in a new service to my shop to do do anything bigger than 30A. I'm limited to 60 A unless I want to dig up 50 ft of the existing conduit. On the plus side, I have small electrical needs. All my lights are LED and add up to a total of 250w, The only time I can imagine running two large machines at once would be a compressor and plasma cutter (neither of which I own) or a dust collector and tablesaw.

Your TIG manual should tell you what the input circuit requirements are for your welder.

Ted

A hard-starting motor load is completely different from a welder load.

David R8, tell me again why you can't run your welder on 240V ?

A hard-starting motor load is completely different from a welder load.

David R8, tell me again why you can't run your welder on 240V ?
Oh it's only because I haven't run a suitable 240v circuit. I have two now, one for my tablesaw and one for the VFD on my mill but both are only 20 A and don't have the correct receptacle.
I only have 40A coming into my shop. I have to pull in a new service to my shop to do do anything bigger than 30A. I'm limited to 60 A unless I want to dig up 50 ft of the existing conduit. On the plus side, I have small electrical needs. All my lights are LED and add up to a total of 250w, The only time I can imagine running two large machines at once would be a compressor and plasma cutter (neither of which I own) or a dust collector and tablesaw.

Back