Learning to TIG

One of the things I was working on before my class was cancelled was consistent arc length. Arc length is directly tied to heat / power output. It was pointed out that TIG is very clean so you can start and stop as frequently as you want. Making short beads, then repositioning your hands before the next section was helping me a lot. I could make a very consistent bead when my hand was firmly set, and it became very obvious when I had gone beyond that position of comfort.

One of the things I was working on before my class was cancelled was consistent arc length. Arc length is directly tied to heat / power output. It was pointed out that TIG is very clean so you can start and stop as frequently as you want. Making short beads, then repositioning your hands before the next section was helping me a lot. I could make a very consistent bead when my hand was firmly set, and it became very obvious when I had gone beyond that position of comfort.
That is definitely something I've noticed. Starting and stopping is not a big deal. Completely different from MIG,
I've noticed that my gloves tend to stick to the table which is causing jerky movements.
I have a TIG finger on the way but it's stuck in Miami at the moment.
Need to relax a bit I think.

I think you are correct in your assessment Dave. The last bit of the weld on the left side is very close to what you want. Keep it up!
Hurray! At least I'm able to diagnosis a little bit.
Thanks for the encouragement, this is definitely one of the hardest things I've tried to learn!

That is definitely something I've noticed. Starting and stopping is not a big deal. Completely different from MIG,
I've noticed that my gloves tend to stick to the table which is causing jerky movements.
I have a TIG finger on the way but it's stuck in Miami at the moment.
Need to relax a bit I think.

Exactly, that jerking was causing some of my issues. By rolling my hand I was able to keep a pretty consistent arc, but had to reposition after 1-2" of bead.

Of course then you have the feeding hand which has its own set of problems. ;)

The other thing you can do too is practice with the opposite hand. If you normally hold the torch with the right hand, try some welds with the left hand. I find that that helps build confidence along with the ability to weld in "non normal" situations, which you will come across.

If you think the Lincoln 4C is good, don't try the Optrel Crystal 2.0. It's like looking through clear glass...

uc

I have heard that the 2.0 is very clear. It is rated at 1,1,1,2 I think and the 33504C at 1,1,1,1 but the 2.0 is shade 2 on inactive clear so it has the edge. Perhaps if I need to replace my Lincoln I'll give the Optrel a try. Optrel has always been a high quality hood. I just don't do much welding any more and the 33504C does a great job for me and the newest version headgear is very comfortable for me.

Roy

The 3350 is on sale at my local tool store. Hmm Father’s Day? My birthday is coming too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard that the 2.0 is very clear. It is rated at 1,1,1,2 I think and the 33504C at 1,1,1,1 but the 2.0 is shade 2 on inactive clear so it has the edge. Perhaps if I need to replace my Lincoln I'll give the Optrel a try. Optrel has always been a high quality hood. I just don't do much welding any more and the 33504C does a great job for me and the newest version headgear is very comfortable for me.

Roy

Take a good look at the picture I posted that you just quoted, LOL. Not on you have you "heard", you have now seen, as that picture is the actual view of how clear it is, and how real the color representation comes through.

I have a shade 3 helmet and this Crystal 2.0 is more like shade 0.5 in the un-darkened state in comparison.. Shade 2 my b@)S, lol. As you should be able to clearly see, its almost like looking through clear glass.

The 3350 is on sale at my local tool store. Hmm Father’s Day? My birthday is coming too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip it. Just go right to the best. You won't regret it. And if you do, I never twisted your arm, LOL.

I have the e-684, and out of habit with other hoods I have it set at 9, and I still like it better than the 3350. I am not a significant welder, and have not tried any other settings.

Back