Lathe Tach

Matt;

How about posting a wiring diagram. I have a a 618 and this looks like a neat upgrade. I have 4 of those units on hand. They were given to me some time ago.

"Billy G"

Yes, they come with the magnet.

Between the ask and the answer my unit came, no magnet in sight. I had some 3mm by 2mm magnets, buried two in the pulley of my spindle (together), buried the sensor in "akupucky" and we're good to go. I intend to mfg a permanent mount, but at least now I can use my slitting saw knowing it's not going too fast.

The magnets do need to be aligned with a specific end toward the sensor. I cannot tell one end from the other, just changed them until it worked.

that's a bugger. It'd be worth talking to matt to see if he knows where the reader is, might be a simple and cheap replacement job. There's nothing wrong with these standalone units, but if it were mine I'd rather try and fix it, just to keep it simple and looking good if nothing else.

I had the same issue on my PM-25

What was your solution?

just want to know I did it right.

I replaced the sensor, and there was no change, Matt sent me a new screen which I have not installed yet. I have been super busy at work and have not been in the shop for a long time.

I'm sure between you it will be fine eventually. I hadn't realized how much I depended on that little meter.
I'm not too worried about it, I just need the time to run through the problem, but that pesky work gets in the way. I really need to stop doing that whole work thing!

I just purchased two of these off of eBay. Hard to beat the price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/391309753179

The wiring for this model is as follows:
Sensor:
brown wire +12vdc
blue wire -12vdc
black wire signal

Display:
red.wire +12vdc
black wire -12vdc
yellow wire signal

Between the ask and the answer my unit came, no magnet in sight. ...
The magnets do need to be aligned with a specific end toward the sensor. I cannot tell one end from the other, just changed them until it worked.

The sensor head (if it's like the crankshaft sensor on my car) is a coil of wire, a soft iron core, and a magnet.
If yours sticks to a nail, it has a magnet inside, all it needs to sense is a tooth (or gap) in soft iron. Yes,
a magnet (if it's aligned with the one inside the sensor) will work, but really all it needs is to see
a bit of iron pass next to the tip (which causes an electrical upward blip) or a gap/hole in the
rotating iron next to the tip (which causes an electrical downward blip).

Sense heads are available separately, of course <http://www.banggood.com/DC-6V36V-In...h-p-925067.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts> in case one wishes
to experiment. These are, as I understand it, passive sensors (don't need power supply), but you'd never
know that from the descriptions.... Beware, there are Hall effect variants, the 'inductive' type
is what I'm describing (Hall effect needs power, probably 3-wire connection, inductive type is usually two-wire connection).

This kind of sensor is disturbed by nearby iron; it might sense moving iron bits other than
at the 'tip' region, and could become less sensitive if surrounded by steel.

Last edited:
Back