Lathe Tach

It's the rpm readout on my PM25, a few weeks ago, we had a power outage. When the power came back on, my modem was fried as was the rpm. Still lights up, but no numbers. I have no idea where the reader is. I expect it's inside the head. I can put a magnet inside the spindle pulley on top with the reader right there.

Last edited:
that's a bugger. It'd be worth talking to matt to see if he knows where the reader is, might be a simple and cheap replacement job. There's nothing wrong with these standalone units, but if it were mine I'd rather try and fix it, just to keep it simple and looking good if nothing else.

got the tack the other day thought i would wire it up and try it today. Got power to the prox switch but nothing to the readout, any ideas. Put 9 volts to it with a battery and later on also tried a power supply 9 volts

You should just be able to wire up the wall wart or power supply to the box and get it to light up. Pay attention to polarity of course, but there's nothing else to it. I don't think you even need the pickup plugged in, although it wouldn't hurt if you did - it'd just read 0.

nothing lights up accept the pickup led light, i used the wiring on inkfrog.com nothing came with the unit, checked the polarity first

sorry man, sounds like a duff unit - there must be power getting to the board otherwise the pickup LED light wouldn't come on. Only thing I can think of is to power it up and then wave the magnet close to it, just in case the display is activated by the pickup receiving a signal. Seems unlikely and you may have already tried it, but worth a shot if you haven't. If that's a no go then file a complaint with the seller, most likely they'll send you another FOC.

got another tack today, the seller did not replace it had to go to pay pal for a refund. This on i ordered out of L.A., did not have to wait for China's mail. This one works great

lathe tack 001.JPG

Do these RMP Hall units come with a magnet, or if not how much magnet is needed? I have access to some 1/4 dia, .100 thick, rare earth magnets, would these work?

Yes, they come with the magnet.

"Billy G"

Back