Lathe Tach

i have one of those on my Atlas 618 and it works a treat. magnet is on the bearing collar between the bearing and the spindle gear and i glued a magnet onto the pick up to stick it to the head stock. it does get knocked occasionally but it's easy to move back. i like it allot - looking forward to putting one on my drill press

some random 12V wall wart from my "might be useful one day" stash. It only needs 20mA or so and from 9-15V, so most likely you'll have something lying around or Goodwill will have one for $1 or so. I stripped mine of its casing so I could wire it direct to the on-off switch of my treadmill board.

here's mine, Greatwhite has one on his Atlas (bigger) from memory too

IMG_4046.JPG
you can just see the 12V wall wart in the bottom right of the picture
IMG_4049.JPG IMG_4053.jpg
shonky mounting. I'll get round to a better mount at some point, but this works fine for now and I have plenty of other projects to do first :)
IMG_4056.jpg

Do these RMP Hall units come with a magnet, or if not how much magnet is needed? I have access to some 1/4 dia, .100 thick, rare earth magnets, would these work?

I'm pretty sure both mine did, although the 2nd one is still in its packet and I haven't looked at it for a while. Any rare earth magnet should work just fine.

I'm pretty sure both mine did, although the 2nd one is still in its packet and I haven't looked at it for a while. Any rare earth magnet should work just fine.

Thanks, Matt. My mill lost it's RPM capability, power surge, I think. It reads 0 at any speed. I'm going to order a whole unit then try to wire the reader into the old unit.

you're welcome and that sucks :( Is it one of these units that blew or one integrated into your mill (like one of the small PM25 style mills?). Mine reads 0 whenever the pickup gets knocked out of position, so it may just need a new pickup if it's an integrated one. They're really cheap, so that might be worth checking out before buying a whole new one.

Back