Lathe profiling tool advice - looking to create 'bead' to retain hose

I have a video on getting the most from your DRO and show making a chess piece. I think I swap tools back and forth 6-8 times making the piece. That is the beauty of the QCTP to make that much faster than it used to be.

The actual sealing is done between the bead, and the clamp. Whether you have a smallish bead, or a 3/8" long one, will not matter much. Having two beads, with enough space for the clamp to close down all the way might be better, but I doubt is worth the effort, or you would see it more often.

Correct+Hose+Clamp+Installation.jpg

This was my first time doing bulk material removal on the lathe and I could not seem to get around stringing of the 6061 alum. I tried feeding in .25, .5, 1.0mm at a time using the RH turning tool, used speeds between 500-1250 RPM, used different leadscrew ratios and always got long connected strings not broken chips. I realize this is an iterative process...

1.0mm would be almost .040” per rev? That seems pretty heavy. I would be around .007” per rev for roughing. Maybe up to .011”. They should break but sometimes they don’t. You can increase the rpm as well. Whatever you are comfortable with. The tool can easily handle up to 3500 rpm. I would likely be around 1800.

Thanks I'll try some variations. This was also my first time running the machine with the pulley on the high-range RPM (100-2000 instead of 50-1000). I noticed the speed wanted to flutter a bit, even when adjusting the pot with no load the machine didn't want to "find" its setpoint nicely, had some surging and odd behavior. The instructions and printed labels on the machine try to steer you to the lower range which others have pointed out should result in more delivered torque so I'll try that as well. Easy swap.

Could consider making the square shoulder facing off and coming in from the inside cutting to the size you want. Then get a router bit with a profile you like and with that in the quick change holder bring it in to cut the nice profile.

At a good woodworking shop there is a large selection of router bits with many profiles for making moldings. Many have small rounded profiles as part of the bit. Lowes or Home Depot probably have them as well. Select a carbide one and with it you would have two or maybe three cutting surfaces to use in case one gets dull. Profile lathe bit already made, ready to be selected and used.

My knee mill is being maintained and not operational. Any reason not to drill and tap like so?

IMG_1510.jpg

Back