Lathe profiling tool advice - looking to create 'bead' to retain hose

The bore is 20mm = .787in and the inch size mandrels I was looking at (first attachment) would not work, I'd have to reduce the bore to .75in.

I now see more expensive wide-range mandrels (second attachment) that ought to work.

Attachments

• mandrel.JPG
    mandrel.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 7
  • mandrel wide.JPG
    mandrel wide.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 7
At some point along the way it occurred to me that I could make most special tools I needed. Life has gone pretty since. Especially when I realized that with a lathe getting close and finishing with a file, you can make a lot of shapes.

How many do you have to make, and what are you making it out of?

I'd put a live center on the tailstock and use it to clamp the part against the chuck.

Yes I’d definitely make a mandrel for this, rather than buying one. It need not even be expanding really; you can use pressure from a tailstock live center to provide drive through a shoulder on the mandrel.

That's an interesting idea thanks. See I just haven't been doing this long enough to even thing thru things like that

I would just make a shouldered plug to fit in one end, that has a hole for a center to fit in. Just need a slight press fit.

Well 'bead' indicates a rounded profile; I wouldn't bother or delay completion. Spin the part, scribe-felt tip-or pencil in the spacing of a sample barb. Set compound over, zero the dial, approach with cross slide, and use indicator-caliper-scale to make them evenly distributed.

Next project, organize the process logically; say, material, cutting speeds, work-holding, tool forms, and what tools are on hand or lack in those steps.

That's an interesting idea thanks. See I just haven't been doing this long enough to even thing thru things like that
I believe it was Joe Pi that had a video on doing this. He called it pressure turning.

Something like this profile should work to chamfer your hose bead on front side and back side. Leave a narrow flat in the top should be good. I just looked up CCMT holders on Amazon. Not sure what this exact holder profile is called. As for holding. The part seems short enough that I would think you could do it all in one operation out of the Chuck? Put a center in and do all the outside machining full length. Then when complete drill and bore it full length. Just my 2 cents.

I could not open the PDF file som maybe I am missing something.

Attachments

• 864C73C8-4E61-451E-885A-968A15E3DFE3.jpeg
    864C73C8-4E61-451E-885A-968A15E3DFE3.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 6
Back