Lathe profiling tool advice - looking to create 'bead' to retain hose

Also super glue makes a terrific workholding adhesive. Release it with heat (preferable) or an acetone soak

A little goes a really long way so don't go crazy.

I was able to get the drawing to open. Here is the order of operations I would follow to make this if I were doing it. All one set up, no mandrel needed.

1. Mount stock in chuck with 2.625" sticking out of chuck for part.
  2. Face and center drill
  3. Insert live center.
  4. Rough the OD to within .025" of your 43.1mm Dia
  5. Rough the 29mm OD on the front section to within 0.025"
  6. Rough the 29mm OD of the back section to within 0.025"
  7. Finish both 29mm OD surfaces
  8. Bevel for the hose bump using the CCMT tool in post above. All 4 bevels (both sides of each bump) Using DRO or cross feed dial to no how deep to bevel to get to 26mm Dia.
  9. Feed across as far as I could with bevel tool to finish 26mm Dia. Finish with a tool that will get up to your shoulder on front and back sections.
  10. Finish the 43mm external diameter.
  11. Remove center Drill then bore to 20mm
  12. Even 2.5" in Aluminum you should have no trouble boring that with a 3/8" boring bar to rough it out and should be able to finish it with a ½" boring bar.
Edit: last step part it off.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
All that makes sense. I presume a D or E style tool which I own (attached) could do the chamfering in lieu of the CCMT tool.
The final question would be how to face and chamfer the ID where the parting took place.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 18
All that makes sense. I presume a D or E style tool which I own (attached) could do the chamfering in lieu of the CCMT tool.
The final question would be how to face and chamfer the ID where the parting took place.
Yes, if you already have what you need with Brazed Carbide that will work fine. If you have AL and AR style tools as well, that should get you up to the shoulder on the front and back section as well. If you have boring bars, then sounds like you are all set. Good luck! Be sure to post a pic of your finished part.

Yes sir I am fully tooled with the exception of a sturdier 1/2in boring bar. I will cut some rod to size and practice the part tonite.

Awesome, look forward to hearing how it turns out.

I think the feature is wide, I based it off the size of the barb on the radiator outlet but that formed sheet metal with continuous curvature so not exactly the same. Getting the 26mm portion machined felt like a lot of improvisation and swapping tooling around. Is that just par for the course?

I think the feature is wide, I based it off the size of the barb on the radiator outlet but that formed sheet metal with continuous curvature so not exactly the same. Getting the 26mm portion machined felt like a lot of improvisation and swapping tooling around. Is that just par for the course?
Would think just one tool swap. From the bevel tool to the turning to the shoulder tool. And yes, par for the course with tool swaps.

Back