Lathe paid off now searching for a mill

I want to thank all that responded to my mill search. I'm posting to let everyone know the search is complete! Like many have mentioned, persistence has paid off and I've reached an agreement to purchase the Birmingham mill that Don Robinson posted yesterday.

Thanks again to all that sent me links and made suggestions. I'm sure this machine will do all I need it to do and am looking forward to making scap out of perfectly good metal.

Time for a road trip!

Thanks again guys,

Dale

I want to thank all that responded to my mill search. I'm posting to let everyone know the search is complete! Like many have mentioned, persistence has paid off and I've reached an agreement to purchase the Birmingham mill that Don Robinson posted yesterday.

Thanks again to all that sent me links and made suggestions. I'm sure this machine will do all I need it to do and am looking forward to making scap out of perfectly good metal.

Time for a road trip!

Thanks again guys,

Dale

So, what's the strategy for getting it past the wife? Going out of town for a couple days is going to be hard to get away with undetected...

Ray

So, what's the strategy for getting it past the wife? Going out of town for a couple days is going to be hard to get away with undetected...Ray

I'm not too coy when it comes to strategy Ray. I just told her I had a business trip down to the border and would be gone a couple of days. :whistle: Kinda...

Then she told me that her oldest son and his wife are coming in with the 'newest' grandbaby and will be spending the night Friday & Saturday night. Between them and that grandbaby, believe me, I won't be missed.

She knows I've been in the market for a mill for a while, she was cool with it. She's a pretty good ol' girl like that most of the time.

Hope this is the correct forum for this.

I know this is quite the open ended question and hopefully doesn't just open a can of worms. As the title states my G4003G is paid off and now I'm seriously looking for a mill. While I would love to have an American old heavy iron mill there just aren't many/any around my area that I've been able to find. Seems like with a city like Houston less than an hour away it would be a buyer's market but that's been proven to be far from the truth. That and I need something to work with, not on.

I also need to let you know I'm quite ignorant when it comes to the different designations. I see X this or XX that and it is an alien language as far as I'm concerned. Another limiting factor is my budget. I need to stay around the 5k mark. I'm not opposed to purchasing out of state and shipping if I can find someone on that end who knows what they're looking at/for to inspect it prior to funding.

I don't have 3ph power but after endless hours reading here that should not be a deal breaker. I've mentioned my good buddy Tom in a few of my posts here. He's a 40+ year machinist who will assist me in whatever needs to happen once it's in my shop. He's been invaluable with helping me with setting up the lathe and DRO. Not to mention learning how to operate it.

I'm open to any and all comments, suggestions, leads or ideas.

Thanks for reading,

Dale

Consider what you plan to use your milling machine for. Power feed is great if you are squaring up a lot of stock for a big project. Usually they turn the table feed screw to the left and to the right. DRO's are really helpful. Growing up using the micrometer dial on the ends. Sometimes having the dial un-clamp from turning is frustrating. If you find a mill with a oiling system that is a plus.

Good luck in your search

Congrats Dale. You managed to do what many failed at... being patient. I waited nearly 10 years for a good mill and lathe to come along. I hope you get the enjoyment from it you were looking for.

Just please be careful with the moving of the machine and the loading and unloading. Many a machine has been damaged by over enthusiasm and this would be a major downer after such a nice experience. Good luck and keep us posted.

Paul.

Congrats Dale! :thumbsup:

I think that is an excellent mill, barely broken in. I think you'll be very happy with it. I know I would be. :))

Marcel

Consider what you plan to use your milling machine for. Power feed is great if you are squaring up a lot of stock for a big project. Usually they turn the table feed screw to the left and to the right. DRO's are really helpful. Growing up using the micrometer dial on the ends. Sometimes having the dial un-clamp from turning is frustrating. If you find a mill with a oiling system that is a plus.

Good luck in your search

I think I've found one Bill. Scroll back to page 1 and see the Birmingham that Don Robinson posted. I think I'm smitten.:))

Congrats Dale. You managed to do what many failed at... being patient. I waited nearly 10 years for a good mill and lathe to come along. I hope you get the enjoyment from it you were looking for.

Just please be careful with the moving of the machine and the loading and unloading. Many a machine has been damaged by over enthusiasm and this would be a major downer after such a nice experience. Good luck and keep us posted.

Paul.

Paul, will definitely exercise caution. I will arrange to have a towing service with boom truck move it and load it onto my trailer. I have countless ratchet straps to cinch it down well. I would be most ill I did something foolish and damaged the machine after forking over a pile-0-cash. :angry:

Congrats Dale! :thumbsup:

I think that is an excellent mill, barely broken in. I think you'll be very happy with it. I know I would be. :))

Marcel

That's exactly the way I see it Marcel. Especially the "barely broken in" part! I think I'm getting a little giddy. Is this what schoolgirls feel like? :thinking:

For anyone interested I've attached the specs on this particular mill model.

With Step Pulley Head

The 9"x 42" Milling machine has always been an industry standard. The BPS-1642 stacks up nicely against the best machines made.Features:

• Certified Meehanite Castings​
    • Turcite B on Female Surfaces​
    • 9" x 49" Table​
    • Easy to Read Dials​
    • Dove Tail Ways​
    • One Shot Lubrication​
    • Hardened and Ground Table​
    • Hardened and Ground X and Y Slideways​
    • Dual Table Locks​
    • Dual Knee Locks​
    • 3 HP, 16 Speed Step Pulley Head​
    • Class 7 R8 Spindle​
    • Chromed Quill​
    • Coolant Ready Base​

Optional Items:

• Digital Read Out
  • Power Table Feed
  • Clamp Set
  • Machinist Vise
  • R-8 Collet Set
  • Power Draw Bar
  • Halogen Work Lamp
  • Coolant System

Last edited by a moderator:
A spindle speed range of 90 - 5600 rpm? Now I'm jealous. That looks like one versatile machine and with that spindle range you can run some seriously small cutters.

Paul.

Good luck in your search

I'm happy to say that the mill Dale bought from me has power table feed and spindle down feed. It has a 1-stroke oiler that oils everything except the head.:agreed::biker1:

Back