Lathe paid off now searching for a mill

First off, I'd spend a few more bucks and get something newer. The shipping on that thing is gonna kill ya. With a $5000 budget, you should be able to get something that you'll be very happy with, with tooling. It's worth a 2-3 hour drive to go look at in person if you see something with lots of promise. Bring your truck and some cash , when it pops up on the radar.

I REALLY NEED TO amend my budget in th OP. I posted originally before Unk Sam hit me with a considerable surprise. My budget is about 2 grand less now and if it could be even less, the better.

That said, I will have a truck, trailer and some scratch.

Here's a relatively late model bed type mill which looks very clean.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RB-Model-LC...173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2333c6be1d

A nice Tree with vise, manuals and collets. I'd offer $2500 and wait for a counteroffer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TREE-Vertical-Mill-/140889870151?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cdb0cf47

Another decent Tree.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TREE-MACHIN...920?pt=US_Heavy_Equipment&hash=item58a8b30280

A 1996 Vectrax (Taiwan) with a great vise and great DRO. I've dealt with the seller before and Gerry is a great guy. Offer less though.
This would be a really nice machine to have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9x49-VECTRA...714?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4616481612

A clean King B'port clone. 1989 vintage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Model-...338?pt=US_Heavy_Equipment&hash=item2334ee9522

All of these would seem to be good choices but I have one to tell you about privately.

Mind if I PM you?

Last edited:
Not being " ab- nock-sush" go Rolls Royce get 3500lbs while back I bought a Cincinnati verticle turret knee mill and I never regert it. Got rid of the
Bridgeport. Fact is its heavy, it defyies chatter. If you can find one. problem is even one in the 1950's still holding a good 3 grand (a good one)
I got very very lucky mine came from one mile away Maxium Fire Trucks which moved out and new owner of the building dont no nothin about
machines $1300 and loaded it on my truck........................................worst part facing the battle axe, ya I got my ears clipped again. We got it in
here its a jem, all power feeds coolent, best yet a 12" Rohms 4 jaw chuck new - they had no clue , it was on the table. and one shot oil system.
Bigger heavier is better. cant make big on small mills but big can make bigs and smalls on a big mill
pic 10X54 Cincinnati Mill 1956

cincinnati 1B.jpg

Not being " ab- nock-sush" go Rolls Royce get 3500lbs while back I bought a Cincinnati verticle turret knee mill and I never regert it. Got rid of the
Bridgeport. Fact is its heavy, it defyies chatter. If you can find one. problem is even one in the 1950's still holding a good 3 grand (a good one)
I got very very lucky mine came from one mile away Maxium Fire Trucks which moved out and new owner of the building dont no nothin about
machines $1300 and loaded it on my truck........................................worst part facing the battle axe, ya I got my ears clipped again. We got it in
here its a jem, all power feeds coolent, best yet a 12" Rohms 4 jaw chuck new - they had no clue , it was on the table. and one shot oil system.
Bigger heavier is better. cant make big on small mills but big can make bigs and smalls on a big mill

I wholeheartedly agree.

I have a Bridgeport J2 in kit form at the moment ready for paint, I have $800.00 in it actually I have a little more since I bought a knuckle for it. The ways are in good shape some wear on the knee showing but not terrible. It needs painted, new nut for the lead screw, and I would install new bearings in the quill if I were to finish it. I will take $800 for it as is. There is a power feed with it too and a set of collets and original vice. You could have a nice mill under your budget with just a little sweat equity. Or I would be willing to finish it for an agreed upon price with an $800.00 deposit.

Just food for thought.

I have a nearly brand new 9x46 vertical mill for sale. It was made in 2007, the year I bought it new.

The mill with a lot of extra tooling, collets, chucks, rotary table, etc. is priced at $3200.00, or with only the chuck and collets $2800.00

This machine is just like new, it only needs to be wiped clean. Included is the rotary phase converter. It has a 3 hp 110 or 220 volts single phase motor.

I also have a very nice 14" x 30" metal lathe with chucks,collets, and all attachments for sale
milling machine_0778_edited-1.jpgmilling machine_0780_edited-1.jpgmilling machine_0777_edited-1.jpgmilling machine_0776_edited-1.jpg

milling machine_0776_edited-1.jpg milling machine_0777_edited-1.jpg milling machine_0778_edited-1.jpg milling machine_0780_edited-1.jpg

I would contact Don. The mill looks to be in excellent condition and in your neck of the woods too so transport costs are not going to kill you. The phase converter also takes care of the single phase problem you have.

Paul.

Beast! -That's definitely one of the bigger ones out there... Probably worth the whooping from the other half.

Ray

I would contact Don. The mill looks to be in excellent condition and in your neck of the woods too so transport costs are not going to kill you. The phase converter also takes care of the single phase problem you have.

Paul.

I would say that's your best bet, maybe he'll give you a couple hundred dollar discount for a forum member, quick sale, just all around good guy either way it's a nice turnkey package

I'm with Sam& Charlie. I'd be checking on dons machine. 350 miles would be a good road trip at 75 mph.
Vise. Rotary and tooling +++

Keep us informed were rootin for ya

Scruffy

Back