Lathe HELP

Sounds good, it will last you many years if you take care of it! The next thing is getting a mill :)
the next thing is a shop a two car garage that is packed full of stuff will get crowed and my neighbor needs parts machined and he does not have a lathe so that is the main reason and my dad is getting a shop built for him and me and my brother it should be done by spring:)

Change gear calculators are what you need:

Though there are many more. It's not a straightforward single formula calculation and requires some iteration to get actual solutions.

It looks from the photos to be a 4tpi leadscrew. Are the crossfeed and compound handles graduated in inch or metric?

the next thing is a shop a two car garage that is packed full of stuff will get crowed and my neighbor needs parts machined and he does not have a lathe so that is the main reason and my dad is getting a shop built for him and me and my brother it should be done by spring:)
Nice man, good luck with all!

Change gear calculators are what you need:

Though there are many more. It's not a straightforward single formula calculation and requires some iteration to get actual solutions.

It looks from the photos to be a 4tpi leadscrew. Are the crossfeed and compound handles graduated in inch or metric?
Thanks thats what i thought
I they're metric, its a spanish brand, made for the european countries

Looks to be a 6 mm lead screw. one rev advances the carriage 6 millimeters.

I have a much smaller Atlas lathe and I ended up 3D printing change gears for it. Surprisingly, they have lasted a couple of years now.

If you can't find the exact model number, then you may have to be more creative. Do you have any gears for it now? If so, then you can figure out the gear pitch (or, rather, the metric equivalent), pressure angle, and hub diameter. I think the Machinist Handbook has detailed information. If you don't want plastic gears, then you may have to cut some from metal, or look for gears online fitting your specs.

I did some online research, and agree that there isn't much. Here is what I did find
address.png

Best wishes,
Kevin

I have a much smaller Atlas lathe and I ended up 3D printing change gears for it. Surprisingly, they have lasted a couple of years now.

If you can't find the exact model number, then you may have to be more creative. Do you have any gears for it now? If so, then you can figure out the gear pitch (or, rather, the metric equivalent), pressure angle, and hub diameter. I think the Machinist Handbook has detailed information. If you don't want plastic gears, then you may have to cut some from metal, or look for gears online fitting your specs.

I did some online research, and agree that there isn't much. Here is what I did find
View attachment 354314

Best wishes,
Kevin
Jezz thanks so much kevin, it looks like you went out of your way!!

View attachment 354314

Best wishes,
Kevin
Getting the gears isn't the problem because i can actually make them/buy them, the spinde gear is 25 teeth, and the last gear (right before the gearbox chagne lever) is 100 tooth... Both weird ratios (for ke at least, i was used to my atlas 10 inch

You mention a gearbox change lever. So does this have a way to dial in the desired cutting gear pitch? If so, then don't you just need to have a gear to connect from the spindle to the gearbox? If your spindle has 25 teeth and the gearbox has 100, then this will effect a 25/100 = 1/4 speed change.

KT

Back