Lathe bed welding casting

Welded steel is actually quite good for damping and rigidity. There are some particular joints that enhance damping too. I have a paper on the design techniques somewhere. Casting in polymer concrete can also add damping. Wrapping a core in stick-on rubber, sliding it into your main weldmemt, and injecting epoxy into the gap gives you VERY high damping.

Laser or plasma cut steel parts can align themselves and save a LOT of work!

Scraping steel is kind of a pain. Slower than cast iron, for sure. But, do-able.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Bolted joints have better damping than welded.

Damping added as outlined above seems like a good alternative.

Residual stress from welding seems like a big enemy of machine tools. I’d want to stress relieve any weldment.

I am loking for materials. mainly steel. I read that weldment nee to be form low carbon steel content so guys are using st37 is s235 and st52 is s355. This two candidate are sutable. Tehy say that strees reliving isnt mandatory, they only put linear rails on it. I dout it.

Eny sugestion about the steel to use.

Welding with MIG type welding 0.8 wire or 1.0mm perhaps i can find 1.6mm macine. Biger is beter yes?

Polimere concrete link

Stres reliving is a must i think. Does enbody know what kind of thiknes of steel plate i need 10, 15 or 20 mm. Probably tehr eneed to be minimum thiknes that weldment wont bend or somthing.

Then i need to mill it.

And then i need to grind it too.

Doens enbody know hot to put linear guides to the weldment. I was helping soem service men when we service cnc centers, if i remember corectly al linear guides are screwed down and from the side there are some inserts witch push linear rail from the side. Is this a must.

Stress relief is a "nice to have", not a "must have"
If you have a way to get it uniformly hot, do it. Nuke it with a weed burner torch well above boiling water and slow cool could be useful. Otherwise, don't worry about it...

Of course, I probably shouldn't give advice on my second margarita

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Back