Lathe bed welding casting

Having built a somewhat functional CNC mill I can assure you that the cost of quality components will far exceed the cost of a serviceable used manual machine of similar size/capability.

In addition to the ways, screws, carriage & spindle you also need servos/steppers, drives, limit switches, controller, computer and software. Good controller software alone could easily exceed the price of a used manual machine.

Alternatively, any serviceable used manual lathe will provide a learning platform for an ambitious budding machinist which skills can be acquired that apply to any other machining project.

We don’t know much about the OP’s background, but from questions asked I’ll assume minimal experience in the trade. Also, I personally don’t know what resources are available where he lives so assumptions are based on a general knowledge I’ve gained working with, refurbishing and building my own tools.

Would love to see some pictures of the work space and power available to him, along with a general bio to understand more about the person we are trying to advise.

Cheers,

John

Fair Matheysx, lec begin:

I completed (i dont know how you call it in your country), shool for masons like how to build buildings, Then i advanced to school to run people who build buildings, then i went to university and specilized for construction civil engeniring (the guy who calculate stuf so building dont colapse, you know, programs mathematic, cocnrete, stell and stuf), i finished the thing got diplma and all that and i put a big cros over it after 16 years of lerning to become fuker whu bild homes to people so they have place to call home.

I ended homles in the park,.. on the bench,.. f..k

so,....

I tok a job in factory. I saw cnc video. I learn machinery, elements, electricity, motory, controlers,.. and this stuf,..
i change job to run long lathes (swis lathes english call them) 24/7 mils and stuf,.. clening pices, inspectin, mesurment, quality control, material in, programing code on lathes, toling, carbide isnerts, threads, ......
Change job again to run in big company with lathes 24/7,.. same stuf only biger stakes, more tooling, carbide, chaning tools, programing les,... polar miling in cnc lathes on 2 spindle with mill nice to se.
Change job again to work on big punching machines, benders, laser cuting, welding,.. and so on

Betwen the jobs i learn watched internet, a make some frends witch are in the machining industry for 30 to 50 years they teach me stuf show me stuf,.. open some cnc machines, open some eletric cabinets, some grinders, build cnc router from schrach, electronic, mechanical parts and so on, have one toolmaker who teech me machines, even open machines to show me gears, grinding machines, mesurment grinded parts with microscope, it is interesting to see this stuf and nice and so on,... metal, difrent tols, old and modern tehnology, mistakes in machining, stupid desisions about using tools in difrent material and cost efectivnes to make money regards toling companies to repair cuting tools and such,... I worked on institut for metal, welding inspector and metal probing, braking, and so on.

capabilities:
i can put together electronic for cnc machine in electric box
can weld
can program g code (i did this on lathes with 3 axsis simoltaneus moving)
can put together drivers and motors
can draw plans for parts for cuting on laser and punching machines so after bedning dimension of part fits
have axses to laser cuting machines, punching machines, bedning machines, miling machines, turning machines, tool makers, programers, scrap yards for cheep metal aquasition,..

i dont know i dont know everthing, but i know people who can help and i can read and ask and certanly i dont see meal for first time.

One thing i realy need to learn this is scraping, we talked a lot about it, but i never buyed scrapers to start. last year a loked at isnpection thing, i dont know how to say in english, that pice of straight metal witch is rally straight and plane so you put that blue color on and rub the surface you can se ridges witch stick up so you can remove with scraper. It is a precision tool for flatnes like a ruler. I need to resolve this to repair ways on lathe and suport or at least to check them.

I have one lathe i buyed fey years ago. I dismantled it kompletly it was dirty ful of oil and emulsion al over it and did a paint job, and i am puting it together slowly. Pats are mising, this is a problem. Specialy it is intersting at least to me how spindle is constructed no ballberings and top rpm is about 1000rpm with 1000rpm from motor and 1500 from 1500 from motor. Motor is double speed. Yeah i disasembel motor too, it is realy nice to see old motors becsoe new ones arent build so robust, i see them very day at work. They are difrent.

Ok this is it. I dont know what To say.

Have a nice day.

I beleive the term you are looking for when blueing and scraping is “surface plate”. In a nutshell, tou blue the surface plate, rub the item on the plate, flip it over and scrape down the high points. You repeat the process until the blueing shows no high spots. Thats very oversimplified, but thats the basics of it.

You’ll have to pardon us for not understanding, but the questions you were asking at the beginning of the thread don’t really seem to match up with your stated work experience and education….

I beleive the term you are looking for when blueing and scraping is “surface plate”. In a nutshell, tou blue the surface plate, rub the item on the plate, flip it over and scrape down the high points. You repeat the process until the blueing shows no high spots. Thats very oversimplified, but thats the basics of it.

You’ll have to pardon us for not understanding, but the questions you were asking at the beginning of the thread don’t really seem to match up with your stated work experience and education….
This is troue. But this dont mean i need to quit. Nobady will teach you ****, so i will teach myself. And nobady can stop this. This is the reason why peopel dont like me. Nobady likes person who learn, everybody love stupid worker who will work all their life in same spot fr minimal pay and think nothing exsept beer after work. i will die stupit, and i wont stop trying the rest is up to god. I have been there a few times alredy. i dont kare what people think, not eny more.... . Becose at the end you are alone, when you are in trouble you are alone, so i walk alone,.... and learn. I was stupid when i was born on thise world, and i learn al i know, ... this is it. If sombody dont like it i dont kare. I know a lot of mechanial engeneers with diploma and mechanotronicks with schools, and they cant even clean simple stuf by the machine, do you need this? And ig get wors, they dont know what faking machine bed is,... and they have schools, linear guides are in star wars for them,.. i dont takl to this kind of people, i yust walk away. Yap they had techers time money, everthing, andt tehy didnt wont to learn they went to partys not schools, do alkohol and drugs,.. i coud to, but i didnt. I respect your apinion. If you wish i can disapeer form this forum and admin can delete my acount. This is it.

Have a nice day

Ooookaaaayyy, I don’t know if there is a language barrier thing going on or something else but this is getting just a bit too weird and just a bit too confrontational for no particular reason.

So I’m just going to bow out of this discussion.

good luck in your endeavors, I mean that sincerely.

Last edited:
We, on this forum like to help people. It may be a language barrier but it's not exactly clear how we can help if your goal is hard to understand.

Do you need help with reassembling your current lathe, or are you trying to modify it?

Is it missing parts that you can't source or build yourself?

Are you trying to start a business with your current machine, or another one, or the one you have but modified?

If trying to modify it what are the parameters needed for success, and what tools do you currently have access to?

If you have a job in the trade and it's unsatisfying is there a way to move to a place with better opportunities?

We'll stick with you if it's clear how we can help, if possible please post some pictures of your actual machine and describe what needs to happen for it to be suitable for your use.

John

Back