Lathe - Barber Shop Pole Pattern, Loose Carraige?

I wonder why that worked. Had to be some kind of resonance, but I'm surprised it seemed to happen at different speeds. Maybe it was just vibrating the whole lathe.

Yeah that's some zen spooky stuff there, maybe its unique to link belts. The different speeds make sense, the motor spins at a constant rpm no matter what feeds and speeds are set to, that was the clue that it was the belts.

Glad to hear that your problem is solved and I just added this fix to my list of solved mysteries. Bob

Weas the facing and parting done with power feed? The belt/motor speed seems logical.

Jim

I tried power feed to part once on the atlas don't recommend that lol

Glad that fixed it. Have seen a similar problem with a bad vee belt. Tightening the belt will sometimes mask a loose motor/pulley bearing. Just something more to check. I'm full of ideas for giving people extra (unnecessary) work:chagrin:.
John.

Using my aloris indexable blade holder 77-i and an iscar blade with a gtn2.4 insert I tried to part some aluminum and it cut about a half inch and stopped, busted the front off the insert and jammed up, lucky the blade is still good, I was using the slowest feed rate but it's not slow enough on the Atlas lathes.

Using my aloris indexable blade holder 77-i and an iscar blade with a gtn2.4 insert I tried to part some aluminum and it cut about a half inch and stopped, busted the front off the insert and jammed up, lucky the blade is still good, I was using the slowest feed rate but it's not slow enough on the Atlas lathes.

Not sure how fast the slowest feed rate is in your lathe. If it broke the insert, it was almost for sure chattering in the cut.
I never use the power feed when parting.
I run at my lowest RPM. I use only HSS parting tools (usually 3/32" thick). I always cram it in pretty hard by hand. I just keep pushing it in until it stops chattering, it will usually take a pretty thick curl, especially in Al. I parted off a piece of 2" 4150A cold rolled yesterday with no issues using HSS. I find the 1/16" blade a bit too flexy, and the 1/8" blade is too heavy for my little 11"x30" lathe. I only use carbide for cutting cast iron or rusty stuff, HSS is much nicer on small lathes, especially Al.
It is possible you are simply being too careful and not feeding hard enough. With carbide you will need to feed it in even faster than with HSS. I would dump the insert tooling and get some HSS blades. I use the cheap T style from Shars, I am sure that USA ones are better on some materials. Getting enough tool pressure on your Atlas might be difficult (assuming you have a 9" job), though folks around here do it. Maybe they can share their methods.

-Josh

Back