Large Grinder

The auction grinder and mine share some features, as does that of Ultradog MN's. The guard lids bolt on, and slide to accommodate wheel wear, and sturdy articulating toolrests are somewhat unique. Occurs to me, that one company might have produced them labeled for other companies. Two variances (maybe over decades of manufacture) are worklight housings and motor shape; shallow end bells giving a rather square profile, and long tapered housings. By experience, longer housings I associate with polisher/ buffers, room to manipulate contoured parts.

Toolmaker,
What brand is yours? It looks like a US Electric Tool Co. The sliding wheel guards they made were rather unique. The tag on the front looks like mine too.

Attachments

• 20220409_060843.jpg
    20220409_060843.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 13
I was searching my local craigslist this morning and came across this huge grinder. https://westmd.craigslist.org/tls/d/williamsport-hammond-large-metal-grinder/7455288185.html Seems like a good price but I wonder how much replacement wheels would cost. I sure like and would like to have it. However lack of space and not really a need for it. Hopefully someone can put it to use. 14" dia wheels 2" wide. Machine weighs 600 lbs.
PS: Not mine and no relation to the seller. Just posting for general discussion.
If I had the room and I lived near there……….
That is one no nonsense grinder.

Toolmaker,
What brand is yours? It looks like a US Electric Tool Co. The sliding wheel guards they made were rather unique. The tag on the front looks like mine too.
Very possible. My tag is AWOL, but the paint it covered is oval... The sliding covers might cinch it. Seen many products of US Motors, unsure about US Electric, so it's 2 of 3 so far.
I'm not 100% obsessed by labels (now; brands are very different story), but I sure like it when they are in decent shape. Motor tags, much higher yet priority, I'm set for 3ph 440v, (also where I bought it). Two aren't, I'll buck transformer those, everything else are dual voltage.
Regarding wheels, surprising amount of 14" on the 'bay, even 1/2" x 3"x 12" drill grinder uses.
I'm OK with used wheels on recip grinders, they don't rotate in the plane operator stands in. Blowing up a 7 incher not very spectacular anyway.
Won two auctions, both an entire wall of toolroom wheels. It's great to find something close when needing to generate a form wheel, or carving one to a small diameter, vs a new one.
Pedestal grinders deserve spanking new wheels. Anyone notice wheels on the green craigslist Hammond, loaded with aluminum? That's an accident just waiting to happen. No grinding wheel is a sanding disc!

I'd buy it if it was closer... anyone want to pick it up and ship it to me?
I could pick it up and come down to Georgia and pick up an enclosed trailer . :big grin: That is one heck of a grinder .

I could pick it up and come down to Georgia and pick up an enclosed trailer . :big grin: That is one heck of a grinder .

If you do, I'll buy it...

-Bear

Back