Large Endmill Use

That's some serious grinding right there...lol

Were I used to work we had a wet grinder we could set something like that up and let it run. it could run a 1 1/2" and had auto feed. Or could turn it down to 7/8 on the lathe and finish it on the grinder.

Of cores he could buy a big bed mill and use it as is. :laughing:

Chuck it in your lathe, build a special clamp to replace the tool post, and cope the ends of 2" tubing for fab projects. The tube clamp is adjustable for angle, but is a fixed height (on C/L).

Roughing mills work great for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At a previous job, I worked with one of 'those guys' that believed you could judge how good a machinist was by seeing how far he could sling chips off a machine...

He had fabricated a 10 inch flycutter that he ran in a BP size mill. He would touch of, dial in .100 or so, lock the table clamps, (to reduce the vibrations) and let-er-rip... wide open...

The poor mill didn't last very long before it was too loose to use.

There is a 'right' tool for every job... and lots of 'wrong' ones.

-Bear

Now what am I going to do with the R8 to 1-1/4" end mill holder that fits my Millrite?;) C'mon, I could at least do Delrin or HDPE, right? Actually, the bigger issue is probably the 250 rpm minimum spindle speed...

Now what am I going to do with the R8 to 1-1/4" end mill holder that fits my Millrite?;) C'mon, I could at least do Delrin or HDPE, right? Actually, the bigger issue is probably the 250 rpm minimum spindle speed...
That's about the right RPM for a 1-1/4" carbide end mill!:p:big grin:

Why don't you send it to Abom79 on YouTube? He has a great channel and has a large horizontal mill in his home shop that he might be able to use it on. Look at it as a chance to support one of the top youtube machinist channels. I accidentally bought the wrong sized hold downs for my mill so I plan on sending them to Adam as I know he can use them on his big KT.

Back