L-W Chuck Co. DIVIDING HEAD DISMANTLE AND CLEAN-UP

Here are some photos so far... I still need to make a index crank handle.And I wish I had the rest of the auxiliary gear drive. Thanks a lot for all the help, Brian

.IMG_0804.JPGIMG_0805.JPGIMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0806.JPG

David and Brian,

Inside diameter for the quadrant and plates looks to be 1.125". The bolt pattern for the plates looks to be 3 holes, 120 degrees apart, on a 1.75" bolt circle.(by all means double check, Brian. I'm just using a 6" scale.)

David, I would be interested in know what plates you have available like this, and what you would want for them(Brian, gets first dibs tho.) The plates I found for mine came off ebay. They appear to be home-made. They look ok, but I haven't used them yet. And my "B" and "C" are one double-sided plate, which is 0.5' thick. It seems ok, but would make it awfully hard to use the quadrant.

And if anyone knows where I might find the rest of the auxiliary gear drive, I'd be interested in that also.

Hello John,

Wow... !!! What a resurrection from your original picture...

attachment.php?attachmentid=64733&d=1384994507&thumb=1.jpg

I like the way that you painted the center of the main casting. It never occured to me to do that, but it looks real nice.

Your most welcome... :)

Brian

attachment.php?attachmentid=64733&d=1384994507&thumb=1.jpg

Holy Smoke John, You have to be pretty proud of how it turned out. I know it could sit in my shop anytime. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I think it turned out nice. Of course there are a few areas I wish turned out better. But like they say, you are your own worst critic.

I painted the center of the casting because there was some remaining original paint there when I first cleaned it. I replaced all the oil cups except the one on the casting that the plate mounts on. I didn't notice that one until after I ordered them. Luckily that one was in good shape anyway. I also replaced all of the thrust bearings. A few of them had missing ball bearings.

Brian and this thread were a huge help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian, May have your quadrant, give me an inside diameter and I'll check it against the spare set I have. No good on the lock clip. I'm in the process of getting a small Van Norman DH re-finished. It's in great shape except for multi-coats of some really ugly tan " shop" paint that was 70% flaked off. I also have a box of odd index plates, if you are missing any give me the dia.,screw holes, arbor dia. and numbers you need and I'll check. Congrats on the rebuild.--David

Hello David,

The diameter that the plates go on is 1.125" and the shaft that the indexing point goes on is 0.75". I'm not certain which shaft that the quadrant goes on. I'll have to check on the plates in the morning.

Thanks... :)

Brian

Good morning David,

I should have paid closer attention to John's picture of his DH and narrative. I see that the quadrant goes on the same shaft as the indexing plates. The depth of that shaft is approximately 11/16" and about 1/2" to a snap ring groove. So, I am guessing that both the quadrant and the original plates would be 1/4" thick each ? The bolt holes are 3 in number, as John pointed out, and approximately 1.50" center to center.

The plates that came with mine are around 7/16" thick, 7 1/4" in diameter and have a 4-bolt hole pattern and have been adapted with a 5'th hole which only engages one of the holes on the DH and also has a bushing.

To make a long storey short, I am missing all of the original plates, as well as the quadrant and spring washer. It's still useable as it is, but it would be nice to get the right gear for it.

Let me know if you have anything that will work for me.

Thanks... :)

Brian

Last edited:
Brian, I found the brass quadrant fingers and they are a nice assembly. Part has the two interlocking fingers with a lock screw and the arbor has an integral brass spring tab that tensions the unit on the shaft. Fingers are nicely beveled. The only 6" plate that I have that may be correct for your machine has 15-16-19-23-31-37-41-43-47 divisions. It is 1/4" thick as are the fingers. I have some other double side plates(7/16 thick) and some 4-1/2 and 5" plates that have the correct arbor but are not correct for your machine. Send me an address and I'll ship these off to you. If they work for you just send me what you think is fair.--David

Thank you David,

I have sent you a PM with the particulars. Thanks again for helping... :)

Brian

- - - Updated - - -

Hi John,

You mentioned earlier that you would like to aquire the auxilliary gear drive. My milling machine will not allow me to ever use this feature, due to the fact that the hand wheels for the x axis are at the front of my mill...

IMGP0367800x600_zps32c946c9.jpg

I am not worried about parting with mine if it is compatible with yours. Let me know some of the particulars of yours and we'll see if a good "marriage" can happen.

Cheers.... :)

Brian

IMGP0367800x600_zps32c946c9.jpg

Wow Brian, really? Let me know what you would want for it. I am pretty sure that you and I have the same DH, one must be an earlier version. I don't have a need for it either other than my desire to see mine look new. I don't even have a mill, YET.... I might not be worth it to get yours depending on shipping. I hear its expensive to ship over the border these days.

Regards,
John

Back