L-W Chuck Co. DIVIDING HEAD DISMANTLE AND CLEAN-UP

Ok, so I built up a little courage and started taking it apart. I am at the point where I am ready to take out the spindle and then the worm screw. I can't tell from your photos for sure, but my assumption is that on the back side of the main spindle, I back out a set screw, then turn the keeper ring? and it should come out, right? Is it left hand or right thread? And same questions for the worm screw?

Also, I notice that there is some rust, like maybe a little water got inside. What would you recommend to remove it with? Would I be better dipping all the parts in diluted muriatic acid?

Regards,
John

Never mind on the "keeper rings", I got them out. Should I try tapping the spindle and worm screw out, or is there something else holding them in? They still seem pretty tight. That, and the washers and thrust bearing look different in mine. There's also another washer/ring I've never seen before. It kinda looks like a snap ring, except it isn't split.

Regards,
John

Hello John,

It might help if you posted some pics of your particular "innards"... I am assuming that you have removed the spindle take-up collar from the rear end of the spindle. Before you attempt to lightly tap the spindle out, there is a grub screw which holds the central gear to the spindle. This must be removed for the spindle to exit....

IMGP0344800x600_zps2b102876.jpg

After removing the spindle, you should be able to lightly drive out the worm gear shaft after removing it's take-up collar.

I hope that this helps...

Brian

IMGP0344800x600_zps2b102876.jpg

I'll have to post a pic or two tomorrow. I did manage to get it completely apart before I gave up for the the night. I missed that grub screw originally. But I found it by studying your photos. Now, after comparing and studying your photos I have new questions(let me know if all the questions become a bother.)

It looks like in one of your photos that your spindle has a set of washers and a thrust bearing? My didn't, I don't know if they are missing from some previous repair, or if mine didn't have them to begin with. Should I add some? If so, where were they on the spindle?

On the worm screw there is a set of washers with a thrust bearing on either side of the worm. On the side that meshes with the center gear, there was the one additional, odd washer, which after a closer look, might just be a chewed up washer. I don't think I'll put it back in? But I don't understand what supports that end of the worm shaft. Is it just the pressure against the washers and thrust washer from the take-up nut? What centers it, if anything?

Also, on the crank end of the worm shaft assembly, the part that worm shaft passes thru is shaped like a cam. It has a flat cut in it that gets held by two set screws in the main casting. Is this to adjust backlash?

Regards,
John

Last edited:
After seeing this apart, and where the oil cups lead, I wonder if it would be better to replace all the oil cups, then use just oil, no grease.

And what do you think of using diluted muriatic acid instead of degreaser? That would take care of the rust and paint as well, right?

Regards,
John

Good morning John,

Questions are always good. That's a big part of how this site works so well. I don't have very much machinery or machining experience, but if I can be of some help, I'm glad to do it.

Yes, the spindle has the thrust bearing and washers on the opposite end from the chuck. They would go behind the take-up collar outside of the case.

IMGP0341800x600_zps4faad451.jpg

The worm gear shaft is centered partially by that eccentric or cam shaft when it is in place and flush with the case. Then the take-up collar does the rest. In addition, when re-assembling the spindle gear and worm shaft, the mesh will help to center it. It took me a few tries to get it put back together before I got the right sequence and angle of the cam to get it right. It will all make sense when you go to put it back together. I didn't have any additional washers on the worm gear shaft.

Yes, the cam when adjusted by those grub screws, will adjust the backlash.

As far as I could see on my DH, the oil cups only oiled the shafts but not the worm gear bearings, nor the main and worm gear mesh, so that's why I opted for greasing those areas before putting it back together. Yours might be set up differently than mine.

I don't have any experience with using muriatic acid other than etching a concrete floor before painting it. Maybe someone else could advise you on that.

Cheers... :)

Brian

IMGP0341800x600_zps4faad451.jpg

So, do you think I should put washers and a thrust bearing on the spindle? Seems like if it had one set, it should have two, like the worm shaft, for thrust in either direction. I'd have to figure out how to size them.

I have to get my worm shaft and its housing good and clean and polished. I had a heck of a time getting the worm shaft out of its cam housing. I'm concerned that the shaft may be slightly bent. It probably doesn't matter a whole lot. It does turn, just a little tight.

I also need to figure out how to knock out the oil cups. I figure I'll replace them all. I know McMaster Carr sells them, as well as thrust bearings and washers.

Part of the reason I asked about the grease/oil is mine was relatively clean inside, with the exception of a little rust where a small amount of water must have pooled. But there was no sign of grease inside.

As you probably see, I have a tendency of over-thinking things.

Regards,
John

Hello John,

I am going to attempt to post a link or two to a L-W DH parts list and diagram that may be useful to you...

L-Wparts-repair.jpg

Here's the adjustment instructions...

L-Winstructions.jpg

Oh, good... it worked.... :)

Brian

L-Wparts-repair.jpg

L-Winstructions.jpg

Thanks, that is useful. Do you see the thrust bearing and washers for the spindle on that parts list? I don't.

Regards,
John

Last edited:
Hello John,

No I don't. That's partially why I posted it. It may be that your particular model or vintage didn't have any. Keep in mind just how slow and periodically a DH spindle turns. Mine only has the thrust bearings at the rear of the spindle while the chuck end is steel against cast iron. There are some lathes that run their steel spindles in simple cast iron bearings.

Brian

Back