L-W Chuck Co. DIVIDING HEAD DISMANTLE AND CLEAN-UP

What's the easiest way to get the oil cups out? Just take a punch and push them in? I want to replace them anyway.

Regards,
John

Hello John,

I have never taken one out.... they seem to have a bit of a shoulder to the brass... maybe use a sharp chisel and tap it under the lip and pry gently? I don't think that they are a tight press fit.

Pictures... please... :)

Brian

I managed to pop the oilers out, and ordered new ones, along with new thrust bearings.

As far as photos go, I haven't taken any yet. I will as soon as I can figure out how to lay everything out neatly. But truth be told, I didn't need to because you did such a nice job of it.

There are only a few differences between mine and yours that I have noticed. First, yours has the thrust bearing on the spindle, mine doesn't. Second, the bolts that hold the main casting together in your case appear to be studs and nuts, and on mine they are bolts. And last, mine has two oil cups in line with the worm shaft, the yours doesn't appear to have. I will post a pic or two, soon.

Regards,
John

Brian,

I'll be putting it back together tomorrow, when the paint is dry. Is there any particular order to approach the assembly in?

Regards,
John

Brian,

I'll be putting it back together tomorrow, when the paint is dry. Is there any particular order to approach the assembly in?

Regards,
John

Hello John,

The spindle slides in first along with the main gear on the spindle... leave the gear loose on the spindle for now as well as the spindle itself... ( don't thread the retaining collar onto the spindle )
Slide the worm gear shaft into the eccentric, along with one set of thrust bearings and then slide this assembly into the DH. You might get lucky on the first try and get the gears to mesh, but it took me a few tries to get everything to go together at once. Once you get those two items together, tighten the main gear grub screw and install the other set of thrust bearings and take-up collar on the worm shaft. The rest is fairly intuitive.

Cheers... :)

Brian

Brian, May have your quadrant, give me an inside diameter and I'll check it against the spare set I have. No good on the lock clip. I'm in the process of getting a small Van Norman DH re-finished. It's in great shape except for multi-coats of some really ugly tan " shop" paint that was 70% flaked off. I also have a box of odd index plates, if you are missing any give me the dia.,screw holes, arbor dia. and numbers you need and I'll check. Congrats on the rebuild.--David

David: I like to check in on your posts once in a while. I passed on those two items that you bought. I decided they were too heavy and missing too many parts to be worth restoring.

I told the guy to ask for no less than $100 for both together. You got a deal.

Did you buy any of the other items?

Brian, May have your quadrant, give me an inside diameter and I'll check it against the spare set I have. No good on the lock clip. I'm in the process of getting a small Van Norman DH re-finished. It's in great shape except for multi-coats of some really ugly tan " shop" paint that was 70% flaked off. I also have a box of odd index plates, if you are missing any give me the dia.,screw holes, arbor dia. and numbers you need and I'll check. Congrats on the rebuild.--David

Hello David,

Thanks so much for letting me know about the spare parts that you have. I'll have a look at my DH over the weekend and let you know the sizes.

Good luck with your Van Norman. Did you start a thread on it ?

Brian :)

No thread, I just barely can get pictures up on flea-bay. I'll be listing that DH for the 91 yr.old machinist I sell for. Came out real nice in dark machine grey. From reading the Van Norman site even they can't figure out what color that VN used,so machine grey it is. Nice thing about this head, it is very compact and won't take up too much table. It also has the original tailstock and drawbar. If any of the VanNorman guys want to indicate on their VN with a VN please contact me. Remember to check your plates, I've got a box of un-tagged spare index plates of all sizes. Once again nice job on the restoration.--David

Hi David,

Thank you for the compliment... :) There is great satisfaction in taking a piece of machinery from a " neglected " state to a point where it will be taken care of and used with appreciation.

It must be very interesting to be selling for a 91 year old enthusiast. Kudos to him to still be interested ... :)

I will certainly check the specs on the index plates as well as the quadrant.

Cheers.... :)

Brian

Back