Kinda going off Chinese import stuff..

Check out where I work. http://www.edlundco.com

There are some parts we source from Asia, but the vast majority of our components are sourced in the US or Made in Vermont.
The company I work for also produces a high quality product shipped from our headquarters in Scotts Valley, CA. We do build some components in house and also source from around the world. Not quite "Made in USA" we call it "Crafted in California"

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

John

DavidPBest,

Excellent scoped response. It is good to see that some minds think alike. The only area I differ will be in the outcome of the quality of work in China. As India starts to grow in the production of Machine Equipment, this will pressure China to look more carefully at quality control, to distinguish themselves from the inexpensive equipment coming from India.

Agree. I‘ve been on the phone for 40 minutes now, trying to buy one of their film and foil dispensers. Someone forgot the first rule in marketing: make it easy to buy.
We only sell to distributors.

DavidPBest,

Excellent scoped response. It is good to see that some minds think alike. The only area I differ will be in the outcome of the quality of work in China. As India starts to grow in the production of Machine Equipment, this will pressure China to look more carefully at quality control, to distinguish themselves from the inexpensive equipment coming from India.
Yes, I expect China to improve quality just like Japan did, and Taiwan after them. And with that will come increased costs of Chinese goods. Then the importers of sub-$15K equipment such as Precision Matthews, under continuing price pressure from consumers, will replace the Chinese equipment with the lower price and lower quality stuff from India. And the cycle will continue.

Last edited:
Yes, I expect China to improve quality just like Japan did, and Taiwan after them. And with that will come increased costs of Chinese goods. Then the importers of sub-$15K equipment such as Precision Matthews, under continuing price pressure from consumers, will replace the Chinese equipment with the lower price and lower quality stuff from India. And the cycle will continue.
I believe Vietnam is next on the "emerging industry" list, and African countries are right behind them.

What about the high precision, high reliability equipment required for production of medical, electronic and aerospace products? Where are the best lathes and mills made? Where are the high end CNC machines coming from? Where price is a secondary issue.

If You would watch "Cutting Edge Engineering" You would see an moderatly expensive lathe. It seems to function well. The Chinese seem to be capable of good tooling but the price difference disappears.

Back