Just Ordered A Pm1440e-lb Lathe And Pm940m-pdf Mill

I have never seen a person ever drop something across the prongs on a halfway plugged in plug before. Heck, never even heard of it until I read about "a guy I know of said his friend did this" on the Internet.
emoji38.png
It is possible, I won't deny that. But highly unlikely.
The cost of preventing it is zero.

Congrats on the new machines! Let us know how they check out.

Shucks, using that crane instead of all the wrong equipment you missed 90% of the fun of setting the lathe up! Good thinking.

What's funny is all of the flat or profiled 120v plugs I've seen are designed to have the ground on the bottom. So I can't agree with that statement 100%, but I won't disagree either.

Back on topic, I think I'll pick up some 1/2" fine thread bolts, nuts, and washers and make my own leveling feet. I can do that pretty easy.

Looks like a good plan. Might want to put it to the top of the list.

Man I sure could use a trailer like that here in a few weeks. :)

Well, I ran into an issue.... The mill was being cleaned up and checked out. I cleaned it all up and proceeded to wire it up and do power-on checks. All of the safety devices worked to include the power X travel motor and the cross feed unit. I tried the spindle motor and all was smooth and quiet. I noticed it seemed slow according to the gear chart. I tried all of the gears and the power down feed. Everything was working pretty nicely except for the speed. Huh.... Then the motor made a noise and I looked up and it had started smoking. Dadgummit!!! I hit the E stop and unplugged the mill. The motor was too hot to touch. Great, somehow I smoked the new mill. I checked everything I could, voltage and wiring were at the top of the list. I did find a loose wire, but it wasn't crazy loose and there wasn't any arc marks or signs of overheating. Other than the slow speed, it was running in the correct direction, smoothly and quietly.

I emailed QMT and Matt answered my email almost immediately. I was not expecting that. It was after hours. I'm not saying this as to make you expect he can do this in every case, but he did and we exchanged a few notes back and forth. In the end he sent me a new motor first thing in the morning. Once again I feel good about where I spent my money. A dollar goes where it's best treated. The new motor should be here tomorrow. If you're reading this Matt, I highly applaud your efforts and expedience in handling this matter. This is what excellent customer service is. Even though I have had a speed bump in the new equipment, Quality Machine Tools has taken care of my every questions, concerns, and this one issue.

I cleaned up, adjusted, lubricated, and wired up the lathe this evening. All went very well. All of the safety devices work, speeds and controls work perfectly. It was smooth and the noise was appropriate for this machine. It wasn't loud or making noises not to be expected. I was very pleased to see it run. Now I need to precision level it and dial it in. The DRO was very responsive and easy to read. This was a great addition without a doubt. The only issue I have is the ball oilers are varying sizes that don't all accept the same oiler nozzle. It's not a big deal, I just need to find another oiler with a smaller nozzle to oil the smaller ports. The mill requires a larger one. It's all part of tooling up I suppose.

I also must say that the entire shipment arrived in great shape and well protected from corrosion and damage. I ordered a few other goodies from Matt to include a precision 3 jaw chuck, some basic tooling, a vise, a clamping kit, and a really nice precision 5/8" chuck for the mill. Very nice stuff for the money in my opinion.

I'll report back with an update on the replacement spindle motor for the mill when I get it installed.

Back