Just Ordered A Pm1440e-lb Lathe And Pm940m-pdf Mill

That's a 50a outlet. The ones pictured in my post are 15a outlets. Specifically a 6-15.

Does anyone know if these machines come with leveling bolts? If not, what size holes are they? How long of a bolt will a fella need?

My 940 did not come with levelers. I have a template for the cast iron base for the 940 . If you don't have your machine yet, let me know. I can get you dimensions, bolt positions, pics, etc . I built a mobile base for my 940 . Blair rotabroach worked well to cut out the bolt holes .

You've got the ground on top , thats good .
Curious as to why you say thats good. The NEC does not specify a "correct" orientation for receptacles. Ground pin up, down or sideways no matter, whatever works best for the situation.

Curious as to why you say thats good. The NEC does not specify a "correct" orientation for receptacles. Ground pin up, down or sideways no matter, whatever works best for the situation.

If something falls behind it, it hits the ground and doesn't go across two live blades . I'd like to take the credit, but my commercial electrician buddy installed my like this, ground up top .

If something falls behind it, it hits the ground and doesn't go across two live blades . I'd like to take the credit, but my commercial electrician buddy installed my like this, ground up top .
Another point is that with ground up when someone pulls the plug out by pulling up and out on the cord the ground tends to break contact last. The "normal" way the ground may break contact first. If the reason they are yanking the plug is that sparks are coming out of the device...

I managed to establish "ground up" as a standard at University of Michigan hospital in the early 70s despite being a junior engineer on the strength of those arguments. I'd like to think that the idea spread from there but more likely someone more influential came up with it independently. I've always done it that way and have frequently been told that my outlets are upside down.

My 940 did not come with levelers. I have a template for the cast iron base for the 940 . If you don't have your machine yet, let me know. I can get you dimensions, bolt positions, pics, etc . I built a mobile base for my 940 . Blair rotabroach worked well to cut out the bolt holes .

I do not have the machine yet. I pick them up tomorrow at the freight depot. Probably a bit late to order anything now.

This is a huge discussion in its own right. It deserves its own thread.

Psssst... I prefer the ground on bottom myself because it looks better to me. I was forced to put ground up on the 240v receptacles because the plugs have the cord hanging to the bottom that way.

I have never seen a person ever drop something across the prongs on a halfway plugged in plug before. Heck, never even heard of it until I read about "a guy I know of said his friend did this" on the Internet. It is possible, I won't deny that. But highly unlikely.

Psssst... I prefer the ground on bottom myself because it looks better to me. I was forced to put ground up on the 240v receptacles because the plugs have the cord hanging to the bottom that way.
The plugs have the cord that way specifically for that reason. That's also how NEMA 50 plugs come. Wiring is designed to protect you from the "highly unlikely" thing happening...to protect us from worst case scenario ...so someone doesn't have to find out the hard way.
I thought they look funny with ground up too ...but it makes sense to do it . I've never seen anything fall behind one either , but I have seen things fall in my shop in the most unlikely ways .

What's funny is all of the flat or profiled 120v plugs I've seen are designed to have the ground on the bottom. So I can't agree with that statement 100%, but I won't disagree either.

Back on topic, I think I'll pick up some 1/2" fine thread bolts, nuts, and washers and make my own leveling feet. I can do that pretty easy.

Back