Joined the Lagun club today.

Slowly but surely getting this machine 100% operational. Was seeing very little oil getting to the ways of the X-axis, the backside in particular. So after the turkey hangover wore off this morning, I went out to the shop to get to the bottom of it. Was surprised at how easy it was to remove the table. 15 minute job. Wheeled my welding table next to the mill, and adjusted the knee until they matched up, and slid it off. Found that the metering valves that feed the X-axis ways, along with the tubing, were plugged up; the rear one more so than the front. Will just replace all the meters and tubes. This stuff is 40+ years old, and no use in half assing it. Pump works great, and the manifolds are fine. Also, part of the process of removing the table is removing the left side crank/end cap to remove the lead screw. When I pulled it, found that the bearings felt rough/notchy. Pulled the Y-axis as well, and found the same. Again, 40+ years old, just replace the damn things. Found two packs of Timken 6204 ZZ's for $21/pair. They're on the way. Will contact Carmen at Lagun on Monday, for the metering valves, as we've already talked about what I was likely to find, and he has them in stock. Both lead screws and the nuts look great. Was also pleased at how much flaking was still visible on the ways. For being made in 1978, I think they look damn good!
IMG_7655.JPG

Had a learning opportunity moment last night, due to a rookie mistake. Was pressing the bearings ( a stacked pair of 6204 ) out of the hand crank support plates for the Y and the left X, as they were feeling rough. As I was pressing out the Y, I felt it hang up and assumed it was a ring of crud at the mouth of the bearing race. Did I stop and investigate……no I did not! Instead, I moved the handle from the hi speed/low pressure pump, to the low speed/hi pressure pump and gave it a couple strokes and BANG! Turns out, the resistance I felt, was the lead bearing just catching the edge of the press plate hole, which caused it to tip, and the lagging bearing kept on pushing it. Blew out the rim of the bearing race in the casting. What a dumb ass! Decided to put the aluminum-bronze TIG brazing to use again. Cleaned it up best I could, and it looks like it’ll be OK. Not the prettiest repair, but it should be fine.
IMG_7664.JPG
IMG_7668.JPG
IMG_7670.JPG
IMG_7671.JPG

Back