Job Complete - Full Video Added welding repair job on dump trailer trying to make it stronger

Thanks all for the ideas. I went with 1/8” angle iron and cut it on angles so that the stress was not straight across on the existing tubing. Turned out well I think. Here are a couple pics of the finished job. I will post the full video of the repair later this week.

That should be way stronger than it should need to be....which is rarely a bad thing!

Here is the full video on this welding repair. Making the Angle Iron brace etc. Thanks again for all the input.

How well do you accept constructive criticism?

How well do you accept constructive criticism?
I like to think pretty well. It is the only way I learn and get better. If you think it will be that constructive maybe shoot me a PM. Thanks.

Don't worry I'm not gonna bash you, and I don't think I'm being overly harsh, but the one area (the thick pin receiver to the angle bracket) that needed the best, most reliable weld to transmit the stress to the added angle bracket has, IMO, the most susceptibility to developing a crack due to cold lap at the toes. Sharp corners accumulate stress and being natural stress risers can easily initiate and propagate a crack before the rest of the structure that was supposed to spread out the stress has a chance of doing so. I'd grind that section out and re-weld it with a lot more heat, going uphill, after having practiced on scrap of the same dimensions. But that is just me.

Don't worry I'm not gonna bash you, and I don't think I'm being overly harsh, but the one area (the thick pin receiver to the angle bracket) that needed the best, most reliable weld to transmit the stress to the added angle bracket has, IMO, the most susceptibility to developing a crack due to cold lap at the toes. Sharp corners accumulate stress and being natural stress risers can easily initiate and propagate a crack before the rest of the structure that was supposed to spread out the stress has a chance of doing so. I'd grind that section out and re-weld it with a lot more heat, going uphill, after having practiced on scrap of the same dimensions. But that is just me.
Fair feedback. Thanks. If he has any issues with it, I will be sure to take care of it for him. I had someone else point out that there are only two bolts holding the door on so after I had it tacked up in the right place, I could have pulled it off and welded it all laying flat. Always more to learn and better ways to do things. Appreciate your input.

Back