Job Complete - Full Video Added welding repair job on dump trailer trying to make it stronger

BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have this job coming in tomorrow. Currently the strength will be limited by the current tubing thickness so assume it will just crack out again. I was thinking of taking like a 2” square of ¼” plate and welding that to the tubing to spread the load? Sound like a good idea? Other thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 0E589118-0743-4F11-AC1E-48D4BA8F969B.jpeg
    0E589118-0743-4F11-AC1E-48D4BA8F969B.jpeg
    655.5 KB · Views: 77
  • F098A8BF-181C-43D2-8354-BDA0E813535B.jpeg
    F098A8BF-181C-43D2-8354-BDA0E813535B.jpeg
    954.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 20E593E8-7C7E-470E-B1F8-D57CCE89288A.jpeg
    20E593E8-7C7E-470E-B1F8-D57CCE89288A.jpeg
    944.2 KB · Views: 79
Yes that is exactly the approach, lots of surface area + thickness
plus diagonal bracing (gussets)if possible, and the customer doesn't mind if it looks different
-M

Last edited:
Yes that is exactly the approach, lots of surface area + thickness
plus diagonal bracing (gussets)if possible, and the customer doesn't mind if it looks different
-M
Thanks, sounds like I am on the right track. I am assuming it can look different. Have not seen the whole trailer yet so not sure how pretty it has to be. Hoping we are going for functional over cosmetics. Will know in the morning.

Formed angle 6 inches long or so would make it quite strong
Thanks, I think I have some 1/8” thick angle iron. 1.5” wide. Could maybe notch a piece of that out to go around the hinge and weld it all up around that? Appreciate the idea. Thank you.

Seems like really thin wall tubing for such high stress area.
It's not perfectly clear from the pics, but it looks like that's just one of the brackets for the tailgate doors....shouldn't really be high stress as the doors aren't all that heavy.

I have a 16' 14K dump trailer and it has similar hinges on the tailgate, but a different setup to secure them...can't imagine what someone would do to cause that damage. My guess is they had the doors pinned forward and hooked that one on something as they drove forward to finish dumping.

It's not perfectly clear from the pics, but it looks like that's just one of the brackets for the tailgate doors....shouldn't really be high stress as the doors aren't all that heavy. I have a 16' 14K dump trailer and it has similar hinges on the tailgate...can't imagine what someone would do to cause that damage.
Overfill the trailer? Start dumping before the gate is open? I did wonder that too.

Overfill the trailer? Start dumping before the gate is open? I did wonder that too.
I was actually editing my post. My guess is the doors were pinned open and that one got hooked on something as they pulled forward to finish dumping. That's the only thing that would make sense assuming the configuration is what I've seen in the past with similar pins/springs.

Back