Job Complete - Full Video Added welding repair job on dump trailer trying to make it stronger

Welding the plate to the tube frame, then weld the tube to the plate is the way to go. As you said it will spread the load. If you look at any excavator you'll see a plate welded to the boom then the hydraulic cylinder mount is welded to that plate. Excavator booms are hollow and unbelievably thin.

If the two hinge pins are not inline with each other, they will slowly eat themsleves up like that. Had a stone delivery last summer, They had a trailer like that, relatively new, but you could feel the tension in the hinges as you opened it. The driver did not care, he said he only keeps the trailers two years, then sells or trades them in, for a new one. I keep looking for him, when I am out and about, but have not spied him yet.

I am not 100% clear on the mechanism, and so do NOT fully understand if this idea would fit/work.

I would add a min 3/16" thick gusset plate here:
20E593E8-7C7E-470E-B1F8-D57CCE89288A.jpeg

-brino

Thanks all for the ideas. I went with 1/8” angle iron and cut it on angles so that the stress was not straight across on the existing tubing. Turned out well I think. Here are a couple pics of the finished job. I will post the full video of the repair later this week.

Attachments

• 53833D18-EDFD-4F90-8E21-53B616EFA1E4.jpeg
    53833D18-EDFD-4F90-8E21-53B616EFA1E4.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 40
  • FD9AA3DF-9C48-443C-956B-180EF7308C7B.jpeg
    FD9AA3DF-9C48-443C-956B-180EF7308C7B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 42
  • 2FF43810-9F3B-4EA3-94FC-4804FA6DC4C5.jpeg
    2FF43810-9F3B-4EA3-94FC-4804FA6DC4C5.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 36
I wonder if someone dumped the trailer without fastening the doors up against the sides. Start dumping and the door swings down, catches on the ground and before you know it you have a bent door, or worse.
I almost had that happen on my trailer, but due to my cat-like senses and reflexes, I stopped before I had to explain it to the wife.

I wonder if someone dumped the trailer without fastening the doors up against the sides. Start dumping and the door swings down, catches on the ground and before you know it you have a bent door, or worse.
I almost had that happen on my trailer, but due to my cat-like senses and reflexes, I stopped before I had to explain it to the wife.
Gotta love Spidey senses and Cat Like reflexes. Great save!

due to my cat-like senses and reflexes, I stopped before I had to explain it to the wife.
That is one of the best I have heard in quite some time.
Obviously you have experience in this regard:cautious::grin:

Based upon where the metal failed I think the pin had to be engaged locking the door open to cause that damage. It looks like it pulled straight back towards the back of the trailer rather than upwards like you'd see if the trailer was raised with the doors loose. My trailer uses hooks to secure the doors that will fail before damaging the door or frame if that happens. They can be dislodged easier than the pins, so it's a tradeoff.

Back