Jet JMD-18PFN Mill/Drill Overview & Review

I have no trouble with .050" depth of cut with my 3" face mill in steel. I can cut a 3/8" keyway in one pass in steel. Power and rigidity on this machine is really good for the size IMO. Thanks for asking. Edit - Also, the largest end mill I have run is a 5/8" indexible end mill. 1/2" regular carbide end mill.
Have you ever had any trouble with the head slipping around the column when making a cut? I have read a few counts of this happening but am not sure of what they were doing when this supposedly happened. I don’t believe thoes machines were made by Jet though. Jet machines seem to have better quality control and overall better fit and finish then others.

Have you ever had any trouble with the head slipping around the column when making a cut? I have read a few counts of this happening but am not sure of what they were doing when this supposedly happened.
Are you serious? I've been using an RF-31 for over 5 years now and have taken some pretty hefty cuts with it and never had even a tiny hint of movement of the head on the column. I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else, either. To be honest, I think these round column mills, at least in the RF-31/JMD18 class, can keep up with most smaller knee mills in terms of rigidity and power. You are talking about machines in the 800# class here.

Are you serious? I've been using an RF-31 for over 5 years now and have taken some pretty hefty cuts with it and never had even a tiny hint of movement of the head on the column. I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else, either. To be honest, I think these round column mills, at least in the RF-31/JMD18 class, can keep up with most smaller knee mills in terms of rigidity and power. You are talking about machines in the 800# class here.
Neither, just what I read. Take it with a grain of salt, like everything else that’s posted on the web.

Have you ever had any trouble with the head slipping around the column when making a cut? I have read a few counts of this happening but am not sure of what they were doing when this supposedly happened. I don’t believe thoes machines were made by Jet though. Jet machines seem to have better quality control and overall better fit and finish then others.
Have never had the head slip. It is a pretty solid clamp around the column. I think I could break a pretty large cutter before the head would move.

I agree with Mikey & Blades.
i can’t take a fast full depth key way cut with a 1/2” endmill like i used to with the BP or Sharp, But they are very robust & i can’t even imagine the head slipping on the column even under the most extreme circumstance.
i am impressed every time I use it.
YMMV, Cheers

I figured it was very unlikely, like I said it was just a few accounts on different forums that I read. I just thought it would be interesting to compare the cutting capabilities of the round column machines to other commonly discussed home shop mills. I know there is obvious factors that could effect this. I don’t do heavy cuts no need to, if I can pull a 1/2 endmill at .100 depth and full with I am a happy camper.

Back