Jet JMD-18PFN Mill/Drill Overview & Review

Blades, I think we both have the same re-badged RF30-31 machines. Although I don’t have power down.
i’m setting up using a 6” rotary table for an angle plate for drilling, I may remove it and use an angle plate, (long story).
Canuck75, my column measures appx. 26” from the chrome ring to top of the column.
Nice pic and good looking machine. I have an 8” vertex rotary table for mine and a PM dividing head. Great accessories. Mine is also 36” from chrome ring to the top so a little extra Z.

And honestly don’t use the power down feed as much as I thought I would. Mostly when using the boring head. As for height, mine is 36” from the chrome ring to the top of the column. Definitely seems a little taller than some others.
Wow, mine is 23" from the chrome ring which gives 12 1/4" of head movement, and about 19" max from the table to spindle nose.

Thanks

Wow, mine is 23" from the chrome ring which gives 12 1/4" of head movement, and about 19" max from the table to spindle nose.

Thanks
That is quite a difference. Wonder if it is just Jet that went with the extra tall columns?

That is quite a difference. Wonder if it is just Jet that went with the extra tall columns?
Overall my mill is 70" tall. The table is 37" off the floor, and, I must correct myself, the max table to spindle nose is 17 3/4".

Thanks

Whoa…that is a tall column, Blades. Shoulda noticed that. Still 4-1/2“ diameter I’m guessing.
yeah an 8” rotary table would fit fine on the 9-1/2 x 32-1/4 table. (So far) the 6” is working for or me.
Canuck, was it the X table nut you replaced? Seems to be a secret (from what I understand) whether that nut is cast iron or bronze with an adjustment for backlash. My machine (Grizzly G1007) was built in 6-2004 & it has the bronze nut, I have adjusted it with a 4mm allan & a long extension. Still some backlash, but I can live with it. I keep it well lubed, & am reminded every time I lock the Y gib lock down & pull out a black greasy hand.
And from the TOP of the chrome ring my column is also 25”, top of column is 70”, but the table surface is 38” from te ground.
i have very rudimentary XY&Z DRO that works for me.
Blades, I hope I have not de-railed your posting too bad, but I had questions while you & Canuck we’re here.
cheers

@Manual Mac de-rail away, this forum is about what people want to talk about so jump in on any thread of mine with any topic as far as I am concerned. Glad this connected you and @Canuck75 over a similar machine. Measured mine and I am 38" to the table top and 83" to the top of the column from the floor. I have mine on a roller stand, but also have a 3/4" rubber floor all around it so those are pretty close to if it was on the floor. And yes, still 4.5" column.

What about cutting parameters thoes with these round column mills have been able to achieve? Such as end mill size and depth of cut that was obtainable. Many times I see people comparing mills without mentioning that. Using improper tooling or depth of cut many times causes some trouble others have mentioned. You can’t expect this kind of machine to push big endmills or face mills that are used on large machinery. I also believe other issues come up that are operator related and not necessarily the fault of the machine because the operator didn’t have the experience or knowledge to operate the machine properly and within its limitations.

What about cutting parameters thoes with these round column mills have been able to achieve? Such as end mill size and depth of cut that was obtainable. Many times I see people comparing mills without mentioning that. Using improper tooling or depth of cut many times causes some trouble others have mentioned. You can’t expect this kind of machine to push big endmills or face mills that are used on large machinery. I also believe other issues come up that are operator related and not necessarily the fault of the machine because the operator didn’t have the experience or knowledge to operate the machine properly and within its limitations.
I have no trouble with .050" depth of cut with my 3" face mill in steel. I can cut a 3/8" keyway in one pass in steel. Power and rigidity on this machine is really good for the size IMO. Thanks for asking. Edit - Also, the largest end mill I have run is a 5/8" indexible end mill. 1/2" regular carbide end mill.

Last edited:
Back