I've Had It! (Drill Chuck Blues)

Make your own holders. Drill most of the way into a mild steel round bar 1144 is good at the back end mill a slot to fit the square so it holds on two sides and now you have a holder that won't slip.
OR, instead of mild steel round bar, use mild steel HEX stock. Drill it and mill it as woodchucker suggests and you'll have no slippage of hex stock in a three jaw chuck.

(Drill Chuck Blues)​

I searched you tube but couldn't find it , but I like the title . :encourage:
I got the drill chuck blues…

My baby done run-out on me…

yeah she done run-out on me…

She no longer wants to hold on, cause l got the wrong key…

My baby done run-out on me…

yeah she done run-out on me…

She no longer wants to hold on, cause l got the wrong key…
Someone in this forum, musically gifted, needs to put tunes to those lyrics and share it here…too bad Joe Bonamassa is not on this forum

You could even use a tool made for the job.
Has a hex end to go in the drill chuck and a square hole to grip the tap.

You could even use a tool made for the job.
Has a hex end to go in the drill chuck and a square hole to grip the tap.
Ive never used one, but this almost looks like it was designed to break taps off in the hole.

Wether in the mill or lathe I only tighten the chuck enough so that if the tap binds it will slip rather than breaking.

I've been doing a lot of drilling and tapping on the mill. Mostly 10-32 in moderately hard lathe tool shanks and holders. I have a nice Albrecht chuck, but they're not much good for tapping, so I've been using my keyed chuck. It's a Ridgid Supreme 15T33, and it is pretty much useless. No matter how hard I tighten it, a 10-32 SP tap will slip. I can't seem to find a rebuild kit for it, so I guess I'm in the market for a new chuck. Looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced keyed chuck with Jacobs taper or integral straight shank (5/8 or 3/4).
I had the same problem tapping with my Albrecht chuck in the mill.
Switched to a direct 30 taper arbor to a Jacob's taper with a 14N Jacob's chuck (made in USA). I am able to tap with no slipping. At least up to 3/8 so far. I too use spiral flute high quality taps.
I also have an import Jacob's chuck 1/8 to 5/8. No model number on it, that's strange. It seems to hold well with minimal run out.

Last edited:
I've been doing a lot of drilling and tapping on the mill. Mostly 10-32 in moderately hard lathe tool shanks and holders. I have a nice Albrecht chuck, but they're not much good for tapping, so I've been using my keyed chuck. It's a Ridgid Supreme 15T33, and it is pretty much useless. No matter how hard I tighten it, a 10-32 SP tap will slip. I can't seem to find a rebuild kit for it, so I guess I'm in the market for a new chuck. Looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced keyed chuck with Jacobs taper or integral straight shank (5/8 or 3/4).
I thought it was just me!

Could you use a hand tap wrench? Pull the rod out and mill a hex on the end so it won't slip in the chuck? ...just a thought.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 145325.png

Last edited:
I use a ball bearing drill chuck the tap will not slip. It will break if did to mush tighten.

Dave

Back